Candids

germaine_sbagermaine_sba Registered Users Posts: 120 Major grins
edited August 7, 2006 in People
I've become addicted to candid shots in b&w. My biggest problem is trying to be insconspicous with a 20-D in front of my face.:D

86283667-M.jpg

This fellow was selling fruit in the park.

78871365-M.jpg

81747805-M.jpg

A couple of men hanging around the harbor on Saturday morning.

81751384-M.jpg

Morning coffee and the paper.

80536965-M.jpg

This was taken after the Solstice Parade.
Lord, keep my words sweet. Someday, I may have to eat them.
http://www.germaine.smugmug.com

Comments

• photofreakphotofreak Registered Users Posts: 233 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2006
    The first one is a little soft for my liking. I normally like diffusing but with this guy, it's not working for me. I like how he is to the side of the frame.
    I like the lighting in the 2nd shot.
    In the 3rd shot, the hand rail looks like it is growing out of his head. Otherwise, I like that shot.
    The last one is too blurry for me... nothing sharp to focus on..
    I know what you mean about trying to be inconspicuous. Wish I were invisible. I have the 70-200 lens for my 20D...a little easier but not much...
    Mandi
    Mandi :shay
    www.mandraleephotography.com

Life is a compromise of what your ego wants to do, what experience tells you to do, and what your nerves let you do.
  • germaine_sbagermaine_sba Registered Users Posts: 120 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2006
    Mandy --

In the first one, I tried masking the background and applying gaussian blur. As you note, the results are just so-so.

With respect to the pipe coming out of the man's head. You are soooo right. I've looked at that picture a hundred times and you have to point it out to me. rolleyes1.gif

The last one is the result of doodling with Photoshop. I wanted a dreamy, old-fashioned look -- sort of like a painting. I can't sell many people on it. :D

Thanks for your comments. They are on point and appreciated.

G.
    Lord, keep my words sweet. Someday, I may have to eat them.
    http://www.germaine.smugmug.com