*Challenge 26 - Phil's attempt

puithovepuithove Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
edited November 26, 2004 in The Dgrin Challenges
Hello all - I'm somewhate new to DGrin - first entry into the photo challenges here - just trying to figure out how they work.

Please provide any comments on my entry...

*** Update - I have replaced the image I originally posted here with this "No Photoshop" version. I had glazed over the "No Photoshop" part for this particular challenge.

11883721-L.jpg

Comments

• happysnapperhappysnapper Registered Users Posts: 224 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2004
    puithove wrote:
    Hello all - I'm somewhate new to DGrin - first entry into the photo challenges here - just trying to figure out how they work.

Please provide any comments on my entry...
    This is an unusual shot, I really like the pattern on the glass and the colour is amazing - so vibrant. A simple shot, with lots to look at.

Oh and welcome to dgrin.... Enjoy.

Yvette
    :roflhappily snapping
  • Phil U.Phil U. Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2004
    Thanks
    This is an unusual shot, I really like the pattern on the glass and the colour is amazing - so vibrant. A simple shot, with lots to look at.

Oh and welcome to dgrin.... Enjoy.

Yvette
    Thanks for the comments and the welcome.

(This is me - I had forotten when I first signed up back in August that I had to register a second time to get my name to display has "Phil U")
  • lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,208 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2004
    Hi there Phil!! welcome to the gang!wave.gif
    Lynn
  • miketaylor01miketaylor01 Registered Users Posts: 318 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2004
    Welcome..
    This is an interesting shot. Glad to see more people entering the challenges. They have grown alot lately and it s nice. The challenge rules can be viewed here
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=1338
    Alot of questions about the rules have ben posted here and may answer some of your questions that were not answered in the first link.
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=2973
    Sometimes there are rules that are implimented specifically for the current challenge. Before entering for the current challenge see the first entry made in that challenge entry thread for any rules that are different from the original challenge rules. An example of a special rule for a specific challege is how the current challenge is a no photoshop challenge. Only basic post processing can be done to an image ie no cropping, clonig, toning and so on.. specifics on this challenge can be found here.
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=3759

Do not post any comments to the challenge thread. You may make on entry to the challenge thread and that is your entry for the challenge. Youc can change your entry at any time up until the end of the challenge. This can be done by clicking on the edit button in the bottom right corner of your entry in the challenge thread.

If you would like to post pictures to see what members think about pictures that you are thinking about entering, but would like some feedback before entering the image do exactly what you did with this thread. You titled it perfectly. anyone can post comments on your images within this thread. Just remember though that your image will not be entered in the challenge unless it is posted to the actual challenge thread.

I hope this helped your understanding of the challenges. I like this shot by the way. I hope there was no post processing done to it cause I like it the way it is. Nice work and I cant wait to see more of your stuff.:D
    Mike

Sigma SD9, SD14, and DP1
    http://miketaylor.giph.com
  • miketaylor01miketaylor01 Registered Users Posts: 318 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2004
    lol, looks like you figured it out already.. you posted your entry correctly while I was creating my last post.. Sorry if the explanation was long winded and you had figured everything out already.
    Mike

Sigma SD9, SD14, and DP1
    http://miketaylor.giph.com
    edited November 26, 2004
    lol, looks like you figured it out already.. you posted your entry correctly while I was creating my last post.. Sorry if the explanation was long winded and you had figured everything out already.
    thumb.gif Yea, I had given the instructions/rules a quick scan. Thanks for the helping hand though...
    edited November 26, 2004
    lynnma wrote:
    Hi there Phil!! welcome to the gang!wave.gif
    Lynn
    Thanks! I've been hanging around DPR for the past couple years. I'm looking for a board that focuses more on photography rather than the technology (mostly because I need a lot more help with the P rather than the T headscratch.gif )... This looks like it just might be what I'm looking for.

I followed Big Andy over here - he has been a vocal proponent of this board (as I know you all are aware of).
  • photocatphotocat Registered Users Posts: 1,334 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2004
    Phil U. wrote:
    thumb.gif Yea, I had given the instructions/rules a quick scan. Thanks for the helping hand though...

Missed you last week Mike... Thought you had gone home. :D

Welcome Phil in the group. I had a quick glance on your home page and there is a lot inthere that I really like.
    The burning oil in the vase is a great shot...
    You have inspired me to give it a try myself.
  • SandySandy Registered Users Posts: 762 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2004
    Very interesting, gives the feeling liquid, and the background color enhances the photo. Oh and welcome.
    edited November 26, 2004
    photocat wrote:
    Missed you last week Mike... Thought you had gone home. :D

Welcome Phil in the group. I had a quick glance on your home page and there is a lot inthere that I really like.
    The burning oil in the vase is a great shot...
    You have inspired me to give it a try myself.
    Thanks - glad you found something you like amongst the mess!

The lamp is an heirloom in my wife's family. It doesn't get lit very often, but always has that great colored oil in it. This was the first item I thought of when I saw the challenge theme. Took me a couple days to figure out how I wanted to shoot it.
    edited November 26, 2004
    Sandy wrote:
    Very interesting, gives the feeling liquid, and the background color enhances the photo. Oh and welcome.
    Whew - I'm overwhelmed with the warm welcome everyone has given. I like the friendly atmosphere here.

Actually I wasn't too sure how well the background was going to work with it - I was still kind of questioning the choice when I posted it. Thanks for getting rid of that little fear... :D
  • John MuellerJohn Mueller Registered Users Posts: 2,555 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2004
    Phil U. wrote:
    Whew - I'm overwhelmed with the warm welcome everyone has given. I like the friendly atmosphere here.

Actually I wasn't too sure how well the background was going to work with it - I was still kind of questioning the choice when I posted it. Thanks for getting rid of that little fear... :D
    Welcome Phil,I like your image,but would like to see the entire lamp.
    Im kind of new here also and it seems like a very friendly place.
    Keep posting.
    John
    edited November 26, 2004
    yea...
    MHJS wrote:
    Welcome Phil,I like your image,but would like to see the entire lamp.
    Im kind of new here also and it seems like a very friendly place.
    Keep posting.
    John

Thanks John. When I was playing with it, I wasn't liking what I saw with the whole lamp - I wanted more of the detail. I do however have another idea now that I might do when I get another chance.