pearl portrait

MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
edited August 8, 2006 in People
Still playing with Nikon's creative lighting system. These were with two off camera strobes controlled by the SU800 onboard. I metered for the face and used ev +2.0 on the background strobe.

Any comments??
86329454-L.jpg

86421586-L.jpg

Comments

• photofreakphotofreak Registered Users Posts: 233 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2006
    I like the first one best. My eye is drawn to the red spot between her eyebrows on the second shot.

Beautiful eyes!!!

IMO, the lighting is perfect!

Mandi
    Mandi :shay
    www.mandraleephotography.com

Life is a compromise of what your ego wants to do, what experience tells you to do, and what your nerves let you do.
  • MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2006
    Mandi, thanks for looking and for the kind comments.

The red spot between her eyes is a capillary hemangioma which has been present since birth. This tends to fade and gradually disappear by the age of 3. Interestingly, my older daughter had the same thing!

I never know whether to clone this area out or just leave it be. She's beautiful either way!iloveyou.gif Here you can see it more prominently from one year ago.

33830321-M.jpg
  • blessedmama21blessedmama21 Registered Users Posts: 48 Big grins
    edited August 7, 2006
    she is beautiful and great job on the lighting.
    the proper name for those marks are angel kisses btw. :D
  • Trish323Trish323 Registered Users Posts: 908 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2006
    Mitchell wrote:
    Still playing with Nikon's creative lighting system. These were with two off camera strobes controlled by the SU800 onboard. I metered for the face and used ev +2.0 on the background strobe.

Mitch,

Samantha is just a little doll! I love #2; seems to be a cute, coy, natural pose for her age and you captured her beautifully. I like the all white, and lighting is perfect. As far as cloning out the hemangioma(sp?) ...I would....just because a typical pro usually does...have you ever seen a bridal portrait with a flaw on the brides face? I would keep it in all other "snapshot" type shots because it is a part of her natural self. My grandson had one, a bit more pronounced, it was surgically removed and I always clone out the scar on a protrait.

Either way it does not really stand out that much. I have enjoyed following your shots of Samantha and your progress in photography!
  • FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2006
    Really great photos - and I appreciate them especially because I continue to try to capture the essence of my granddaughter (now 2) in photos and it is sooooo challenging. I'd go ahead and clone the little "angel's kiss" on #2 because the essence of her personality is in her expression, body pose and eyes and you don't want to distract from that. That said, frankly, I didn't notice until it was mentioned. I was too busy enjoying the aforementioned expression, body pose and eyes!

Love the lighting. Gotta find out more about that. Also, love both pictures.

Kudos. clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

Virginia

Email
  • photofreakphotofreak Registered Users Posts: 233 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2006
    Mitchell wrote:
    Mandi, thanks for looking and for the kind comments.

The red spot between her eyes is a capillary hemangioma which has been present since birth. This tends to fade and gradually disappear by the age of 3. Interestingly, my older daughter had the same thing!

I never know whether to clone this area out or just leave it be. She's beautiful either way!iloveyou.gif Here you can see it more prominently from one year ago.

She is so beautiful! And, yes, I'm familiar with them...my daughter had a large one across her nose. And, yes, we too called them angel kisses. I'm sure that is why my eye was drawn to it. I think you should leave it there...forget my comment about seeing it...it is who she is in all her beauty. A teacher, when my daughter was small, took it upon herself to cover it one day for school pictures. I was livid!!! The audacity this woman had by "covering" something on my childs face... I refused to buy any of the pics. My daughter is now 13 and has only slight traces of it.
    So, in the name of your daughter's beauty, leave it in the photos!!thumb.gif
    Mandi :shay
    www.mandraleephotography.com

Life is a compromise of what your ego wants to do, what experience tells you to do, and what your nerves let you do.