Highland Games Photo

donekdonek Registered Users Posts: 655 Major grins
edited August 9, 2006 in People
I attenden the Rocky Mountain Highland Games today for the first time as a spectator. I spent most of the time with the band I used to run and fired off about 400 shots. Most are garbage, but here are the ones I liked best from my first pass.

This is the shot I really wanted to get of my daughter and Drum Major Don Mckee. Unfortunately I had to do a bunch of editing to get it to this level. Does it look overprocesed?
86418150-O.jpg

A shot of the new pipe major's fingers.

86418154-O.jpg

This is massed bands at opening ceremonies. No matter how hard you try, you can't get 10 grade 4 bands to line up in straight ranks.

86418151-O.jpg

Drummers Warming up for competition.

86418152-O.jpg

86418155-O.jpg

I played a lot with Bass drum reflections. This is probably the best right out of the gate. There are some others that look like they multiply 3 drummers into 6. They'll take a bit more work though.

86418156-O.jpg

Comments and criticism ae greatly appreciated.
Sean Martin
www.seanmartinphoto.com

aaaaa.... who am I kidding!

whoever dies with the biggest coolest piece of glass, wins!

Comments

• tomthephotographertomthephotographer Registered Users Posts: 86 Big grins
    edited August 9, 2006
    I love the first one the most. Great Shots... No events shot??
    Canon 40D. Lens Sigma 170-500, Tamron 75-300, Quantaray 19-35,
    Bogan Tripod. Gaint Yukon 25' Bike,

Like it or not we most often get what we deserve in the end.
  • OwenOwen Registered Users Posts: 948 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2006
    donek wrote:

86418151-O.jpg
    I think you missed on this one. The guy who is standing out the farthest, IMO, should be the one in focus. My eye went straight to him and I then I said to myself, "WTF, he's out of focus!"
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited August 9, 2006
    Owen wrote:
    I think you missed on this one. The guy who is standing out the farthest, IMO, should be the one in focus. My eye went straight to him and I then I said to myself, "WTF, he's out of focus!"
    I agree the first and last pics are also not focused properly. Damn shame on that first pic.
  • PossumCornerPossumCorner Registered Users Posts: 290 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2006
    donek wrote:
    I attenden the Rocky Mountain Highland Games today for the first time as a spectator. ....
    And I practically ran all the way to your homepage to look at dozens more great Highland Games shots. Huh - ummmm. Okay, patience here, maybe in a few days when you've sorted them. The shot of your little girl is a knockout - the last drum shot is a beauty - waiting, waiting.