Options

Tripod Questions

PolynikesPolynikes Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
edited November 27, 2004 in Accessories
Hi All,

I need some advice on a tripod for my new (used) 10D that I upgraded to from my Rebel. I was using a Velbon Maxi 343e with the rebel and Tamron lens, mainly because it was I had available from my G3 days. It definitely is too flimsy though, and I don't want to risk busting it for some reason.

Can anyone reccommend a good tripod with a budget of $300.00? I'm very tall, 6'4", so that is something to consider. I'd also like something that I wouldn't terribly mind carting around with me. I've been hearing a lot about the NeoTec, but don't know too much about it. I'd also appreciate any reccomendations on heads, quick release thingies, carrying straps, etc. I'm truly ignorant about tripods, so any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks for any help!

Poly~

Comments

  • Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2004
    Polynikes wrote:
    Hi All,

    I need some advice on a tripod for my new (used) 10D that I upgraded to from my Rebel. I was using a Velbon Maxi 343e with the rebel and Tamron lens, mainly because it was I had available from my G3 days. It definitely is too flimsy though, and I don't want to risk busting it for some reason.

    Can anyone reccommend a good tripod with a budget of $300.00? I'm very tall, 6'4", so that is something to consider. I'd also like something that I wouldn't terribly mind carting around with me. I've been hearing a lot about the NeoTec, but don't know too much about it. I'd also appreciate any reccomendations on heads, quick release thingies, carrying straps, etc. I'm truly ignorant about tripods, so any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks for any help!

    Poly~
    Hi poly welcome to the forum.. wave.gif I'll let the experts answer your questions on tripods... hang around a while.. they'll show up :D
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2004
    Hi Polynikes. wave.gif

    I was just conversing with another member about buying a tripod. The rule of thumb is you want the sturdiest tripod you can get, in order to have a stable platform. As you've already discovered, if you buy a flimsier tripod, you'll eventually need to upgrade. So look for the weight bearing capacity of the tripod and head. The greater the weight capacity, the sturdier the tripod.

    Lemme start with the head. I got the Acratech Ultimate Ballhead, and I'm pretty happy with it. Doesn't slip and can hold a pro camera with a 300 f5.6 IS lens on it. It can hold 15-20 lbs.

    I confess I've made a compromise with my tripod. I did not buy the sturdiest one that I could, because I need the folded tripod to fit in the saddle bag of my motorcycle. I also wanted a tripod that extended to a good height, and was relatively easy to carry. So I got the Manfrotto (Bogen) 3444D. So far, I'm pleased with it. I can't remember what the official weight bearing capacity is.

    For quick release plates, I'm using Really Right Stuff. You buy the plate that's specifically intended for your camera or lens collar. So I have 3 plates - one for the camera, and one each for the 300 f4L IS and the 70-200 f2.8L IS. Works well... when I remember to bring the lens collar! umph.gif

    Hope this helps, mate. Let us know what you're thinking about buying. thumb.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2004
    Oh, one other note. Be careful about the head that you buy. There are two types: one is for video cameras, and the other for still cameras.

    Video camera heads are designed for panning and tilting, but aren't as flexible as a ballhead. A ballhead is more suitable for still photography, as it allows for more freedom of movement. Of course, others may disagree. naughty.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2004
    Polynikes wrote:
    Hi All,

    I need some advice on a tripod for my new (used) 10D that I upgraded to from my Rebel. I was using a Velbon Maxi 343e with the rebel and Tamron lens, mainly because it was I had available from my G3 days. It definitely is too flimsy though, and I don't want to risk busting it for some reason.

    Can anyone reccommend a good tripod with a budget of $300.00? I'm very tall, 6'4", so that is something to consider. I'd also like something that I wouldn't terribly mind carting around with me. I've been hearing a lot about the NeoTec, but don't know too much about it. I'd also appreciate any reccomendations on heads, quick release thingies, carrying straps, etc. I'm truly ignorant about tripods, so any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks for any help!

    Poly~
    Welcome to Dgrin,

    I've pretty much the same set up as you, and after a bit of shopping around I've gone for the Manfrotto 055pro with a 141RC head which, I should get it tomorrow (not allowed to use till christmas though :cry) . The model numbers are different in the US so I am not sure how useful this is. (I think the head is the Bogen 3030 and the legs are the Bogen 3021pro)
    I like the idea of the central column being able to mount horizontally and the maximum height of 176cm. I'll let you know more once I've had a sneaky try out.
  • Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2004
    gubbs wrote:
    Welcome to Dgrin,

    I've pretty much the same set up as you, and after a bit of shopping around I've gone for the Manfrotto 055pro with a 141RC head which, I should get it tomorrow (not allowed to use till christmas though :cry) . The model numbers are different in the US so I am not sure how useful this is. (I think the head is the Bogen 3030 and the legs are the Bogen 3021pro)
    I like the idea of the central column being able to mount horizontally and the maximum height of 176cm. I'll let you know more once I've had a sneaky try out.
    No sneaky peekin gubbsy:nono
  • Options
    gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2004
    lynnma wrote:
    No sneaky peekin gubbsy:nono
    Its going to be tough, my wife's away tomorrow and I've got to go and collect it from the courier, my daughters have been briefed to keep a close eye on me, so I doubt if I'll get a chance, there's nothing they'd enjoy more than getting me in trouble ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    PolynikesPolynikes Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited November 26, 2004
    Thanks for the warm welcome and replies everyone. It is greatly appreciated. I have another quick question about use of the forums. Is there anything I can do to just find threads that I've created or posted in, kind of like dpreview has a mythreads button? Thanks again for the help.

    Poly~
  • Options
    GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2004
    Click on your own name in this thread. That will take you to your profile. Under your name a little ways down the page there will be 2 links. One link is Veiw threads Started by "you". The Other is threads commented on by "you"

    Hope that helps.
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,914 moderator
    edited November 26, 2004
    Welcome Polynikes!

    I have a Bogen 3021 with a oil dampened video head on it (I do occassionally
    shot video). The neat thing about the oil dampening is that panning is smooth
    like butter. But that's not important in the still world.

    I'll confess, it was me wxwax was conversing with. We are both motorcyclists
    and carrying a tripod can be a challenge. I was looking for a compact version
    to carry on the bike and chose the Gitzo 1126 Mk 2. This will carry 10lbs of
    load and compacts to 16.3" high (without the head). It is a four section
    tripod. I also decided on the Arctech ball head.

    I think both of us probably spent a good chunk of change on the legs
    and head. The Bogen I mentioned will set you back around $140 plus
    the cost of the head.

    Good luck with your selection and do let us know how it works out.

    Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2004
    I recommend something with a quick release plate. I think that if you have to go to a lot of trouble to mount the camera, your less likely to use the tripod. Also if you have more than one body, or a long lens that mounts to the tripod, it is easier to have a plate for each.
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,914 moderator
    edited November 26, 2004
    GREAPER wrote:
    I recommend something with a quick release plate. I think that if you have to go to a lot of trouble to mount the camera, your less likely to use the tripod. Also if you have more than one body, or a long lens that mounts to the tripod, it is easier to have a plate for each.
    Yes. Good advice. I have plates for both tri and mono pod and ordered for
    the new one as well.

    ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    PolynikesPolynikes Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited November 27, 2004
    Do you think the Really Right Stuff plates are the best/most suited? I hear a lot about them. Thanks again for all the advice...I appreciate it.

    Poly~

    ian408 wrote:
    Yes. Good advice. I have plates for both tri and mono pod and ordered for
    the new one as well.

    ian
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2004
    Polynikes wrote:
    Do you think the Really Right Stuff plates are the best/most suited? I hear a lot about them. Thanks again for all the advice...I appreciate it.

    Poly~
    They sure work well for me. I have three and am very happy. Good fit and good workmanship. Solid.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,914 moderator
    edited November 27, 2004
    Polynikes wrote:
    Do you think the Really Right Stuff plates are the best/most suited? I hear a lot about them. Thanks again for all the advice...I appreciate it.

    Poly~
    I can't say for the Really Right Stuff plates. For the Arctech, I ordered the
    Novoflex. The others are the Bogen/Manfrotto plates.

    Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
Sign In or Register to comment.