Options

wanted: junior league pep talk

asamuelasamuel Registered Users Posts: 451 Major grins
edited August 20, 2006 in Mind Your Own Business
So you want to be a photographer by trade?

Me too!

your putting money into it, time and lifestyle choices. I hear you!

but sometimes you get a little bit nervous? worried that maybe the field is just that bit too big for you and you would mind just one night sleeping with the lights on (maybe thats just me).

what I call for is rally raising! pep talking! quotes of old masters! tales of rags to riches! morale boosting!

A tonic for the ordinary joe and every man........................

I will find such words and share them, meanwhile......busy yourselves.:lust
where's the cheese at?

http://www.samuelbedford.com

Comments

• Options
    OakleyOakley Registered Users Posts: 446 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2006
    66 views and no replies. Yikes --- that's not a good sign, eh?

Well, asamuel, I think there are many people like you and me out there. You probably have a job, where you dream most of the time about quitting and starting up in the photo biz. You don't want much, just enough to support you (and your family). I'm in that boat.

Fortunatley for you, I'm in one of my more optomistic moments --- I just got my first smugmug sale. Sure I'm only going to get $1.05, but it's a good start, I think!

Anyway, I'm going to make this as brief as I can ---
    • KEEP DREAMING!!! I believe that we create our own realities --- and if you are persistent about visualizing and telling yourself that you will be a pro photographer, then it will happen.
    • BE PATIENT!!! I also believe that all good things take work. Our realities are also what we practice in our daily lives. So work at your photos, buy books to understand the business, invest your time and energy as much as you can afford.
    • DON'T QUIT YOUR DAY JOB --- YET. Your day job, although draining, can keep your passion for photography and getting into the business alive. It will take money to start a new field, so start penny pinching in other areas of your life and start investing the money you make from you current job into your photography.
    • GET SMART! Write a business plan - determine your market - ask yourself the tough $$$ questions -
    I believe you can do. There is room in any industry, no matter how competitive, for hardworking, smart, creative, and persistent people.

In closing..........clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif --- YOU CAN DO IT!!!
    Ryan Oakley - www.ryanoakleyphotography.ca [My smugmug site]
    www.photographyontheside.com [My blog about creating a part-time photography business]
    Create A Gorgeous Photography Website with Smugmug in 90 Minutes [My free course if you need help setting up and customizing your SmugMug site]
  • Options
    asamuelasamuel Registered Users Posts: 451 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2006
    "Go on my son!" as they say in my neck of the woods.

Yeah I was a bit jaded that day, but I've been using my free time v.constructively over the past for days and feel back on the buzz.

Tis true that I have a day job had no intentions of giving it up, but they took the initiative. sounds like a bad position but its not, thinking of pushing for some commercial experience helping out something or other.

Got one for you.......its highly originalrolleyes1.gif But it gets me.

"If your pictures aren't good enough, your not close enough!" - Rock on!

Hmmm, who said that? rhymes with EastCoast Rapper.

In Yorkshire dialect "Get stuck in lad!" Look forward to seeing you on the T.V?
    where's the cheese at?

http://www.samuelbedford.com