To buy, or not to buy?

EyeBallEyeBall Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
edited August 14, 2006 in Cameras
I'm ready to buy a SLR camera, but I have no idea what kind to buy. :dunno
I’ve looked at the Olympus E-1, E-300 and the E-500. I'm also considering a canon because my friend has one.
Any advice?

Comments

• kini62kini62 Registered Users Posts: 441 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2006
    EyeBall wrote:
    I'm ready to buy a SLR camera, but I have no idea what kind to buy. ne_nau.gif
    I’ve looked at the Olympus E-1, E-300 and the E-500. I'm also considering a canon because my friend has one.
    Any advice?

That's kind of like saying "I just got my driver's license and need a vehicle but don't have any idea what kind"headscratch.gif

Seriously, any of the current DSLRs are capable of taking great photos. You just need to do some research on features, performance, price, accessories, etc.... then narrow it down based on YOUR needs.

Then try and find a store that has what you're interested in, go handle them, take some test shots if possible. And anything else you can think of.

No one here can make this choice for you.

Good luck with your choice.

Gene
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited August 7, 2006
    EyeBall wrote:
    Any advice?

i'm partial to canon... clap.gifthumb.gif you really need to get them in your hands..
    thats why i went canon it fit my hands better...
  • HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2006
    Gene's advice is the best you're gonna get. I would tell you to get a Nikon becuase I enjoy shooting with Nikons. Others will tell you what they like. None of this has any bearing on what you will like
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited August 7, 2006
    You should buy the best one. Really, you should.
  • Fusion_UKFusion_UK Registered Users Posts: 249 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2006
    ???
    I shoot with both Canon and Nikon and enjoy the both of them. Its down to you and what you feel comfortable with, what you want it to do and how much you want to spend !! thumb.gif
    Ian :photo
    ALL COMMENTS / CRITS GRATEFULLY RECEIVED
    http://www.pbase.com/kissfoto
    http://fusion.zenfolio.com/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/imiller/

Use Canon EOS 1Ds Mk1,10D, Nikon D100, plus Nikon F and F2. Sigma 10-20EX DG HSM, Sigma 15-30 EX DG, Sigma 75-300 APO DG...:barb
  • Dante KingDante King Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited August 9, 2006
    remember, If you are serious about photography, you will be buying into a system. Make sure that system has you current needs and possible future needs accommodated (which only you can determine). Further, I suggest investing in the best glass you can afford as camera bodies are only sort lived in comparison.
  • Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2006
    Getting a dslr is buying into a system, so also consider ease of getting lenses and accessories as well as being able to move up in the system.

For this reason, I'd recommend either the Canon or Nikon as the first companies to consider. Both offer entry to professional level cameras to move upto. Both have many lenses and many aftermarket lens companies make lenses for Nikon and Canon while they may not do so for smaller companies.

Now having said that the Sony looks good too but I don't know if they will consider making more bodies so that if you decide you want a more serious body, you may have to sell all the stuff and change systems.

If you don't intend to move up in body types, then most dslr's are good enough.

Having said all this, consider the new Nikon D80 being released or the repalcement for the Canon Rebel XT that will be announced 8/24/06. If you want something right now for less dough, the Nikon D50 is a great camera. I have Canon's but used the Nikon D50 and was impressed by it, and Nikon makes some great lenses.

Good luck.
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2006
    EyeBall,
    EyeBall wrote:
    Any advice?

With all due respect, if you don't know what you need - you're not ready, by all means. ne_nau.gif
    What limits you with your current camera?
    All of them will take you from point A to point B. The difference is in fine details.
    I'd recommend to do your homework first, then spend the money...mwink.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Mr. 2H2OMr. 2H2O Registered Users Posts: 427 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2006
    Eyeball,
    Another thing to consider: why DSLR? Can you conceive of capturing your creativity using a high end P&S? You can buy something integral that will allow you to explore ISO, Aperture, Speed, Lighting, etc. and discover your style and type of photography that you enjoy, then you may be more informed and knowledgeable about the type of DSLR that would suite your needs.

Once you buy into a DSLR system, you will then have more complex issues to face like what kind of lenses vs. budget to capture your imagination. Without knowlege of your creative limitations vs. the technical limitations of the equipment you shoot with, it will be hard to find the system that will please you.

For my background, I have a higher end P&S and am discovering what type of photography I enjoy shooting. I have around 7000 clicks in 6 months and am still learning the technical side. Sometimes green mode (where the camera does all the settings for you) is not good enough so I have to learn how settings impact my pictures. Even now I know what kind of DSLR system would appeal to me but its because I have learned about what I enjoy doing with the camera.
    Olympus E-30
    IR Modified Sony F717
    http://2H2OPhoto.smugmug.com
  • claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2006
    That's very good advice. I drifted away from photography for a long time & got back into it by going digital with a Nikon 995. After running that camera to the edge of it's capabilities, I knew where I needed to go with a DSLR kit.
    In the end you'll probably save some money by knowing what you need up front, and you have a backup camera in the bargain.

The original question is so open-ended nobody can answer it, as has been pointed out a few times.