Options

One Time Event Photo Hosting...

CasonCason Registered Users Posts: 414 Major grins
edited August 10, 2006 in Mind Your Own Business
Has anybody here tried www.partypics.com or something equivalent? I have a power account with Smugmug; however, I do not have the funds and justification to upgrade to a pro account at this time.

I've been asked to photograph a charity event for a friend. Pretty much walking around taking pictures of the band, guest poses, and guest candids. The plan is to pass out business cards with thank you for attending, a URL to some site that will host the pictures, and have a password to get in so people can look at the pictures. Then they can buy what they want.

I know Smugmug can do all this. However, I can't justify upgrading my account just for this one event. I'm looking for a place that will allow me to upload pictures for this one time event, handle the money transactions, print and ship the pictures to customer, give me a check (minus the % for using the service).

Thank you for your ideas.
Cason

www.casongarner.com

5D MkII | 30D | 50mm f1.8 II | 85mm f1.8 | 24-70mm f2.8
L | 70-200mm f2.8L IS II | Manfrotto 3021BPRO with 322RC2

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,887 moderator
    edited August 7, 2006
    SmugMug is really worth the small investment. There is relatively little you need to do to setup a new "Pro" account, compared to others that require you to apply for an account and wait for approval. The nominal cost difference between Power and Pro accounts is really small compared to the features you can access. The print pricing is small enough that you can make a good margin and still offer customers a great price, while reaping the benefits of automated order taking and order fulfillment.

The only other way is to take the orders yourself, and handle the processing and fulfillment yourself. You can try the other guys, but when you look at everything comparatively, SmugMug is a steal.

Maybe your friend could spot you half?

ziggy53
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited August 8, 2006
    ziggy53 wrote:
    SmugMug is really worth the small investment. There is relatively little you need to do to setup a new "Pro" account.
    ziggy53

So, what do I have to pay? $90 for the upgrade or $150.

I already have a domain name. If I transfer the domain to Smugmug, can people still get to my "name".smugmug.com?

Can I use my own code to save $5 and get $10? mwink.gif
    If not...anybody have one I can use?

Still justifying...
    Cason

www.casongarner.com

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,887 moderator
    edited August 8, 2006
    RTP wrote:
    So, what do I have to pay? $90 for the upgrade or $150.

I already have a domain name. If I transfer the domain to Smugmug, can people still get to my "name".smugmug.com?

Can I use my own code to save $5 and get $10? mwink.gif
    If not...anybody have one I can use?

Still justifying...
    Feel free to use mine, if you want:

Enter my personal coupon ( hzD0v6ywE97NE ) in the 'Referred by' field on the signup form (Important: Don't enter any other information, such as my name. Just the coupon code).

I presume you will only pay the difference between services, but Andy would know for sure. help@smugmug.com

RTP wrote:
    ... I already have a domain name. If I transfer the domain to Smugmug, can people still get to my "name".smugmug.com? ...
    There are several things you can do:

You can provide a link to your "name".smugmug.com from your website, and vice versa.
    You can redirect from your site to your SmugMug site using code and cookies.
    You can use DNS to redirect:
    http://inside.smugmug.com/help/professional-accounts

If you meant, "Can people still just type in ""name".smugmug.com" to get to my images, I believe the answer is "yes".

ziggy53
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited August 9, 2006
    Thank you Ziggy for the info. I only had to pay $49 for the upgrade. Thanks to pro-rating.

Anyways, I configured my CNAMES. As soon as I hit submit, the changes were made!!

I am now a pro user. thumb.gif
    Cason

www.casongarner.com

• Options
    StustaffStustaff Registered Users Posts: 680 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2006
    For individual events I link to a set category that I create especially for that event, using customize stuff I give that category its own header and footer etc... works really well.

Using smugmug in effect I can have a personal and a work site seperatly branded but on the one smugmug account.
    Trapped in my bedroom taking pictures...did i say bedroom? i meant studio!

My www. place is www.belperphoto.co.uk
    My smugmug galleries at http://stuarthill.smugmug.com