Rebel XT - Selecting AF Point - Need help

LookBothWaysLookBothWays Registered Users Posts: 44 Big grins
edited August 8, 2006 in Cameras
On page 73 of the Canon Digital Rebel XT manual it talks about “Selecting the AF Point.” In the section “Selecting with the Cross Keys” it says to first push the AF Point Selection Button (the little rectangle with the 5 dot cross icon). It says the selected AF point will then be displayed in the viewfinder and on the LCD. I tried it (numerous times) and nothing happens. No display, no nothing. :cry The camera is ON, Mode Dial is set to P, AF Mode is One Shot. What am I doing wrong? :dunno

Comments

• JeffroJeffro Registered Users Posts: 1,941 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2006
    Don't have the XT, but do have the original Digital Rebel. I imagine it's very similar, if not the same.

I push the AF sensor icon with my right thumb, while looking thru the view finder I see the active sensor light up (red), I turn the dial (on top right hand corner of camera) with my right index finger, and the sensors change, with the red light indicating which one is active, stop when the one I want is lit. The LCD also show this....if this is what you are doing, I'd wait for someone with an XT to reply, or give Canon a shout.
    Always lurking, sometimes participating. :D
  • cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2006
    You first push the shutter half way for focus lock, push the AF Pt selection button. Looking thru the viewfinder, you will see the red dots. As you push the Cross-keys, it will move them around, and display on the LCD (not sure why?)

Butl, I use this feature so often, that I have enabled the cross-keys for this on my XT. I did this by going to Custom Funtion 01, and setting to option 4: Cross Keys AF Function Select.

This way, I need only push the shutter button half way for a focus lock, then I push the Cross-keys, which allow me to choose the AF pt directly.
  • LookBothWaysLookBothWays Registered Users Posts: 44 Big grins
    edited August 7, 2006
    Solved!
    Thanks for mentioning the Custom Functions! That was it!! I had set C.Fn1 to Cross Keys: AF Frame Select (forgot I did that) and that disabled the AF Point Selection button’s default use. I KNEW it would be something simple. Oh well, live and learn.
    Thanks for the help!
  • colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2006
    In many fast-moving situations I find it too slow to feel my way around the cross keys with my thumb. I find it faster to select an AF point with the top wheel on my XT, as Jeffro suggested. I just press the AF point selection button and then spin the wheel until I get the point I want. I also like the wheel because I can leave my thumb where it is, by the upper buttons, and not waste time as my thumb commutes back and forth and reorients itself between the upper two buttons and the cross keys. I love that little wheel.

I tried the custom function but then I no longer had one-button access to ISO, metering mode, AF mode, and white balance. And I change ISO a lot on the fly. I guess I'll look in the manual to see how that's supposed to work unless someone posts the answer to that here first.

Also, it seems like the direct-access custom function doesn't "wrap around." When the custom function is off, and you reach the extreme left AF point, going left wraps around to the extreme right AF point. When the custom function is on and you reach the extreme left AF point, pressing left again doesn't move any further; if you want the extreme right AF point you have to get there the long way.