New canon or body suggestion?

livefreenskilivefreenski Registered Users Posts: 163 Major grins
edited August 9, 2006 in Cameras
hello,

I have a rebel and I believe i have out grown the camera I have been shooting for a bit over a year now seriously, I was looking to due some larger prints bigger then 8x10 and the 6mp is deffiently a damper on those thoughts. I would like to stick with a cannon just do to the simple fact I already have two cannon lense a telephoto, and ur standard 16-58mm i believe it is, I was thinking the next logical upgrade would be a new body or a nice lense

for any reference to what type of shotting I do my website is in my profile below.

What do you think the most logical next step up would be for me?

thanks and regards
-ty

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited August 8, 2006
    hello,

I have a rebel and I believe i have out grown the camera I have been shooting for a bit over a year now seriously, I was looking to due some larger prints bigger then 8x10 and the 6mp is deffiently a damper on those thoughts. I would like to stick with a cannon just do to the simple fact I already have two cannon lense a telephoto, and ur standard 16-58mm i believe it is, I was thinking the next logical upgrade would be a new body or a nice lense

for any reference to what type of shotting I do my website is in my profile below.

What do you think the most logical next step up would be for me?

thanks and regards
    -ty
    Hi Ty,

Visiting your site, I see a smattering of lots of different types of photos. I do not get a real feel for what is truly interesting to you.

What images did you have the most fun making? Which images reflect you? Which images did you really work for? Which images could be better, and why?

I only found 1 image that I would call "sports". Why is that? Is it because you don't have much interest or is it a feeling of frustration in the equipment?

I see good use of composition and framing, but I'd like to see more "snap" in some of the images. How much time do you spend in post? What do you have for software image processing?

Do you have an external flash? In the "scissors" image I see that you used the onboard flash, ... in "Redeye" mode? I am curious about that. There is a shadow to indicate a light from the side, but it doesn't look to be flash.

So anyway, tell us more about you and your photography. Tell us what "trips your trigger", photographically speaking. Tell us what pleases and what detracts from your photographic endeavors.

Take care,

ziggy53
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited August 8, 2006
    Ty,

I do not understand why you feel you need more than 6Mpixels for images larger than 8x10. I routinely made lovely 13x19 inch prints from a 6Mp 10D. The Rebel will do the same thing .

I do understand the desire for better equipment, we all have that I suspect. It takes a few new cameras for us to realize better images usually come from better understanding of light and our tools, than from a better camera than the Rebel. A new lens WILL expand your image opportunities directly.

What is your budget allowing in term of a newer body or lens?? Anything from a 20D or a 30D on up will be a step up in resolution and decreased image noise. You might want to consider a wide angle lens from looking at the shots in your gallery.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • bhambham Registered Users Posts: 1,303 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2006
    Ty

I have to agree with all the advice that pathfinder gave you.

Oh and I have printed a number of 12x18, 16x24, and 24x36 prints from my 10D (6mp) and have yet to be disappointed with any of the results.

For a new photographer I would advice to learn as much about light and lighting as possible and also to learn as much in photoshop that you can.

Have you tried to compete in the Photo Challenges here at Dgrin. They are good at getting you to think about taking pictures that you may not normally take and thus expanding your experience and knowledge. I do occasionally but I am usually to busy, but I routinely go there for ideas and to see others work.

You said you have been shooting for a year seriously. But you have so few images on your site. How many images would you say you have shot? If you are shooting much and often I would think you would have a greater amount of work to display.

Yes now and then if you become serious about photography you may want to upgrade your body, but most painters didn't get better buy buying new brushes.
    "A photo is like a hamburger. You can get one from McDonalds for $1, one from Chili's for $5, or one from Ruth's Chris for $15. You usually get what you pay for, but don't expect a Ruth's Chris burger at a McDonalds price, if you want that, go cook it yourself." - me
  • SeefutlungSeefutlung Registered Users Posts: 2,781 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2006
    Ty-

The rule is that it takes 50% more pixels in order to see a visual difference. Soooo ... 50% of 6M is 3M so at 9M, you would be able to visually see a differnce in Image Quality (IQ). That is assuming no cropping ... once you start cropping, everything sorta goes to hell.

Some difs between the Rebel and upgrade models:

IQ wise, upgrading to a XT/20D/30D will give you the Digit II processor and 2M more pixels (will made a small visual impact at larger sizes or crops).

XT- get a bigger buffer ... no more waiting after two or three shots.

20D/30D- 5 frames per second, two wheels for shutter speed and aperature. A bigger buffer than the XT. A bit better/faster focus. 3200 ISO. A beefy-er camera.

30D- A larger, 2.5" LCD. A bigger buffer than the 20D, a true spot meter. ISO in the viewfinder (button activated).
    My snaps can be found here:
    Unsharp at any Speed
  • livefreenskilivefreenski Registered Users Posts: 163 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2006
    what drives me in photographing well i guees

i live for the sunset waterfalls and outdoor shots to be honest because of me life style those are the shots i enjoy taking, im not much of a person that like photographing people to be honest with, i dont i guess i just dont like

As for post-processing, were talking slim, i dont really do much post work at on my pc i have abode album which allows me to crop, and on the my laptop which im on now i just have ur basic iPhoto so i dont alter my photographs alot at, which i think i should go out and purchase a decent software which i was going to, Aperature, but the weak memory card in my macbook couldnt handle it sooo... iphoto it is now that im discouraged

as for a budget for a lense i mean as long as its reasonable i guess any where from 300-to 500 it depends if i see the worth in it.

i do agree most of my photographs dont have the clean polished finished look to them or that "snap" you refered to

as for external flash i just use lights for around my house in the scissor picture, i dont have an external flash
  • bhambham Registered Users Posts: 1,303 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2006

i live for the sunset waterfalls and outdoor shots to be honest because of me life style those are the shots i enjoy taking, im not much of a person that like photographing people to be honest with, i dont i guess i just dont like

As for post-processing, were talking slim, i dont really do much post work at on my pc i have abode album which allows me to crop, and on the my laptop which im on now i just have ur basic iPhoto so i dont alter my photographs alot at, which i think i should go out and purchase a decent software which i was going to, Aperature, but the weak memory card in my macbook couldnt handle it sooo... iphoto it is now that im discouraged

as for a budget for a lense i mean as long as its reasonable i guess any where from 300-to 500 it depends if i see the worth in it.

i do agree most of my photographs dont have the clean polished finished look to them or that "snap" you refered to

as for external flash i just use lights for around my house in the scissor picture, i dont have an external flash

You should have gotten a version of photoshop elements with your camera if you bought it new. If you didn't this would be the first thing I would get. It gives you a lot of options to use. You get the ability to mask, adjust levels, use layers, all the filters I could go on. I think the latest version if 4. New it runs like $90 and if you really want a version. I have like 6 unregistered legal copies of Photoshop elements 2.0 that I don't use that I could sell you for very little. (I have a few cameras).

Then I think the flash/lense would be second. If you don't take many shots at night or that need fill flash, then go lense first. But if you find yourself wanting a more powerful flash than what is provided on camera, go flash.
    "A photo is like a hamburger. You can get one from McDonalds for $1, one from Chili's for $5, or one from Ruth's Chris for $15. You usually get what you pay for, but don't expect a Ruth's Chris burger at a McDonalds price, if you want that, go cook it yourself." - me
    edited August 8, 2006

You can get the GIMP for free and it runs on most platforms:

http://www.gimp.org/

If you're running Windows, do a Google for "GIMPShop" to get an interface similar to PhotoShop.

Also, if your running Windows 2000 or XP, get Picassa:

http://picasa.google.com/

Picassa is what I use for casual image processing. Quick and pretty good quality for freeware.

IrfanView is the Windows (freeware) image viewer and simple crop utility that I use. It is written in Assembler and fits on a floppy.

http://www.irfanview.com/

Better lenses and a properly used external flash will make a tremendous difference in images, moreso than a new camera would.

Best,

ziggy53
    ziggy53
  • mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2006

I think that looking a more megapixels is the wrong thing for you to be doing. I'm going to guess two things will make a very large impact on your photos. One is post-processing. Especially curves and sharpening. Two is a better lens. 6MP is more than enough that the lens quailty becomes a big issue.

What lens are you using most often? I bet we can suggest a better replacement lens that will have more impact to you, at less money, than a new camera body.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • livefreenskilivefreenski Registered Users Posts: 163 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2006
    this is me being embarrassed

i use the one that comes with the rebel body 9 out of 10 times out shotting almost every shot on my site is with that lens

what would be some suggestioning for a new lense there are soooooo many options i get overwhelmed looking at all of them
  • mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2006
    this is me being embarrassed

i use the one that comes with the rebel body 9 out of 10 times out shotting almost every shot on my site is with that lens
    Ok, that is a problem. :) Keep the body, replace the glass, much better use of your money, and likely cheaper than a body. Your problem with enlargements is not a lack of pixels. Glass matters, A LOT. Lenses also last a long time and do not go obsolete, unlike a body will. Therefore do not be afraid to spend bucks on glass. It is money well invested.

Given the focal length of rouhly 18-55mm of the kit lens there are a few lenses to consider.

Canon 50/1.8 or 1.4. Superb image quality on a bargain. I like the 1.4 better due to a much nicer build quality and feel.

Canon 17-40/4L. A great lens. I think you can find one used on dgrin right now at a good price.

Tamron 28-75/2.8. Another great lens. Does not have Canon "L" build quality by any means, but optically its really nice.

Other more expensive offerings would include the Canon 24-105/4L, 70-200/4L.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited August 8, 2006
    Listen to Merc - He's made excellent suggestions here.

And learn to use Photoshop Elements or Photoshop CS2 - Your images will thank you.:):
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
    edited August 8, 2006
    I also agree with what Bill is telling you, but I would add the Sigma 18-50mm, f2.8 to the list of possibles. It is superb at f4 at any length, and usable at f2.8. It also has a little more range than the Canon 17-40mm, f4L, and a very nice price.

You also might want to consider a good external flash that has bounce and swivel capabilities.

ziggy53
    ziggy53
    edited August 8, 2006
    Thusie has the Canon 17-40mm for sale and she just dropped the price:

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=39633

(I bet this is the one Bill was hinting at.)
    ziggy53
  • Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2006
    ziggy53 wrote:
    You can get the GIMP for free and it runs on most platforms:

http://www.gimp.org/

If you're running Windows, do a Google for "GIMPShop" to get an interface similar to PhotoShop.
    Gimp shop graphical user interface is not like ps under windows
    (only under *NIX systems, including macos). Under windows its
    just a one window application with the usual gimp menue etc.
    see: http://blog.yumdap.net/archives/43-GIMPshop-2.2.8-for-Windows-released.html

Also keep in mind that gimp does not
    support 16bit per color channel, only 8bit. PS
    (not elements) is the only program that
    supports 16bits beautifully. But this should
    be more interesting for the determined photog.
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston