IR wthout filters???

crowcrow Registered Users Posts: 87 Big grins
edited August 13, 2006 in Finishing School
Is it possible to IR an ordinary photography (via photoshop) without having to buy the IR & ND filters ?

I have a Sony 828 and I think I might be falling under the IR spell, but my wallet is saying NOOOOO!!
jfghckgvlhyvluijhb;ijol m,lll

Comments

• wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2006
    You can mimic it. But PS will not deliver identical results, from what I've seen.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2006
    Fred Miranda Plug ins
    UUUUUh....I think Fred Miranda has an IR plug in.....haven't used it.....
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• 01af01af Registered Users Posts: 41 Big grins
    edited August 12, 2006
    crow wrote:
    Is it possible to IR an ordinary photography (via Photoshop) without having to buy the IR & ND filters?
    I have a Sony 828 and I think I might be falling under the IR spell, but my wallet is saying NOOOOO!
    No, with digital cameras (or film) that are sensitive to visible light, you cannot take infra-red photos without an infra-red filter. The regular image will always supersede any infra-red image. So you definitely need a filter to cut away the visible light---an IR filter, that is. However some digital cameras are better suited to take infra-red shots than others, as they have infra-red-cutting filters of different strengths built in (i. e. filters that transmit visible light and cut away infra-red light). If you happen to own a digital camera with a particularly strong IR-cutting filter then you are out of luck. Older digital cameras tend to have weaker IR-cutting filters or even none at all. And by the way, neutral-density filters are completely useless in infra-red photography.

With Photoshop (or any other decent image-processing software) it is possible to mimic infra-red black-and-white and colour images from regular colour photos. You can mimic the white rendition of living foliage (Wood effect), the dark rendition of blue sky, the higher contrast of IR shots, and the halos and the coarse grain of many IR films. You can also mimic the false colour rendition of colour IR film. You cannot, however, mimic the ability of real infra-red shots to penetrate haze and fog, or only to a minor degree.

Haven't tried it myself yet, but I guess some of the techniques presented in Dan Margulis' book Photoshop Lab Color should be helpful to create convincing counterfeited infra-red images from regular colour photos. Also Photoshop's channel mixer should be helpful. In any case, it requires some effort, skill, and practice to get it right. Using an IR filter and taking real infra-red photographs sure is easier.

Here is an example of a counterfeited 'IR image' created in Photoshop from a regular RGB file. Of course, it's a poor example; it was my first try, and a quick'n'dirty one. Skilled photoshoppers will come up with much better work:

ir.jpg

And here is, for comparison, a real IR image, taken with Minolta SR-T 101 and a 50-mm lens on Konica IR 750 film using a RG-695 (Wratten #89B) filter:

img-0008.jpg

-- Olaf
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2006
    There's a pretty decent PS Tute in the current issue of Photoshop User.
    The WOW! Factor
    Here's how to simulate traditional infrared photography using a combination of Channel Mixer and the Diffused Glow filter. –Jack Davis and Ben Willmore

It's no substitute for the real thing, though.
  • crowcrow Registered Users Posts: 87 Big grins
    edited August 13, 2006
    thanks very much for the replies....

your right, there is no substitute. I guess photoshop cant do "everything"
    jfghckgvlhyvluijhb;ijol m,lll