Comments

NikonGirlNikonGirl Registered Users Posts: 204 Major grins
edited September 29, 2006 in SmugMug Support
I used to get comments now and then on my pictures on Smugmug. However, I noticed the number of comments I've received have really declined. I haven't received a single comment since April of this year.

Several family members have verbally told me they have made comments, but I never see them. Yes, I have checked and the comments are turned on in the gallery.

So what gives? Is the comments feature still working? Has anybody else seen a decline in the number of comments since it became necessary to
type in a password?

I'm just curious. Thanks!

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2006
    NikonGirl wrote:
    I used to get comments now and then on my pictures on Smugmug. However, I noticed the number of comments I've received have really declined. I haven't received a single comment since April of this year.

Several family members have verbally told me they have made comments, but I never see them. Yes, I have checked and the comments are turned on in the gallery.

So what gives? Is the comments feature still working? Has anybody else seen a decline in the number of comments since it became necessary to
    type in a password?

I'm just curious. Thanks!

working fine, Yolanda
    http://yolanda.smugmug.com/gallery/1500027/1/71976809/Large#comment

wave.gif
  • NikonGirlNikonGirl Registered Users Posts: 204 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2006
    Okay, thanks. It worked great. I don't know why it's not working for my family members. I suspect they're not putting the code in. I'll have to talk to them about that.

Thanks again.
    thumb.gif
  • redcrownredcrown Registered Users Posts: 60 Big grins
    edited August 10, 2006
    I'm a new user, but also notice a problem with the comment entry. I've looked over the shoulder of two users as they browsed my site and tried to enter comments. Neither noticed the "enter code" section, and neither noticed the "try again" message. Both simply navigated out (back arrow) after entering the (failed) comment.

A few others reported entering comments I never received. In fact, they complained because their comments were questions I never answered.

I've also noticed that some users fail to see that there are multiple pages of a gallery, when displayed in smugmug or traditional style. They just think that's all there is and back out.

Two areas that could use some improvement in future updates.

Personally, I'd like the option to turn off the "security code" entry on comments. I'd accept the risk.
    edited August 10, 2006
    redcrown wrote:
    I'm a new user, but also notice a problem with the comment entry. I've looked over the shoulder of two users as they browsed my site and tried to enter comments. Neither noticed the "enter code" section, and neither noticed the "try again" message. Both simply navigated out (back arrow) after entering the (failed) comment.

A few others reported entering comments I never received. In fact, they complained because their comments were questions I never answered.

I've also noticed that some users fail to see that there are multiple pages of a gallery, when displayed in smugmug or traditional style. They just think that's all there is and back out.

Two areas that could use some improvement in future updates.

Personally, I'd like the option to turn off the "security code" entry on comments. I'd accept the risk.

Hi Red,

thanks for taking the time to post! We appreciate your comments very much.

As to page nav, if you are a power or pro customer, you can customize that if you wish.
  • Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2006
    Actually I've got to say that I've noticed this too. Maybe it'd be good to put a note to let the user know that they failed the captcha test and would they like to try again...

Knowing you guys that's probably in the works anyhow.
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
    edited August 10, 2006
    Mike Lane wrote:

Knowing you guys that's probably in the works anyhow.
    more than this?
  • Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    more than this?

er... maybe I just haven't put in comments in a while :uhoh

It seemed like it worked differently before. I thought it did anyhow. Now I don't see how someone could think their comment took if the captcha wasn't put in there or wasn't right.

That's a big nevermind ne_nau.gif
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • mbradymbrady Registered Users Posts: 321 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2006
    Maybe disable the Save button until something is entered into the captcha code box? And if they move the mouse over the disabled Save button, pop up a tooltip saying that they need to enter the code first?
  • Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited September 28, 2006
    Hi guys

This is still a problem - I had 'customers' trying to id photos to buy by leaving comments and the comments did not stick. Thought maybe it was their error so never worried about it more.

However, I am trying to convert a friend to a smugmug account, and he has asked me for C & C on a particular gallery. I have tried, and my comments are not sticking, and I passed the test.

Thoughts?

ann
    edited September 28, 2006
    Ann McRae wrote:
    Hi guys

This is still a problem - I had 'customers' trying to id photos to buy by leaving comments and the comments did not stick. Thought maybe it was their error so never worried about it more.

However, I am trying to convert a friend to a smugmug account, and he has asked me for C & C on a particular gallery. I have tried, and my comments are not sticking, and I passed the test.

Thoughts?

ann
    Gallery link, so we can check it out? Thanks.
    edited September 29, 2006
    Hi andy

Strangely, several weeks later, my comments do show in this (my friends) gallery:
    http://rschlegelmilch.smugmug.com/gallery/1808903

They never did in the galleries of mine:
    http://www.canadian-ann.smugmug.com/gallery/1567561
    password is webb

Thanks, and it isn't a big deal for me if the comments are working for my friend.

cheers!!!
    ann
  • AnneMcBeanAnneMcBean Registered Users Posts: 503 Major grins
    Ann McRae wrote:
    Hi andy

Strangely, several weeks later, my comments do show in this (my friends) gallery:
    http://rschlegelmilch.smugmug.com/gallery/1808903

They never did in the galleries of mine:
    http://www.canadian-ann.smugmug.com/gallery/1567561
    password is webb

Thanks, and it isn't a big deal for me if the comments are working for my friend.

cheers!!!
    ann

Hmmm headscratch.gif Can you see my comment? Looks like it stuck to me. Are you having the problem only when you're logged in maybe? or using a certain browser?

-Anne
    Yep, that one stuck. My clients were commenting on individual pics - I am set up to recieve messages when a comment is left (love that feature btw) and have not for those clients. We worked around it anyway, so no harm done. Could be fixed and that is all that matters.

Thanks
    ann
    AnneMcBean wrote:
    Hmmm headscratch.gif Can you see my comment? Looks like it stuck to me. Are you having the problem only when you're logged in maybe? or using a certain browser?

-Anne
  • AnneMcBeanAnneMcBean Registered Users Posts: 503 Major grins
    Hmm maybe it fixed itself? That would be fabulous. If it rears its ugly head again, be sure to let us know. :D

-Anne