Noob Question - How do I get the "EXIF" info - Nikon D70

IslandRIslandR Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
edited August 10, 2006 in Cameras
I have had the camera for 5 days now and am really enjoying taking pictres.

I have read the manual and maybe I don't understand what I am being told about the " Excahangeable Information Format for Digital Still Cameras" when used with digital printers.

I was assuming this would be a record of camers settings for each picture taken , and hoping that I could use it to learn about Aperature and Shutter settings.

Thanks in Advance

Comments

• wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2006
    What photo software are you using?

Somewhere it will have a link to "File info" or something similar. That's where your EXIF will be sitting.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • IslandRIslandR Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited August 9, 2006
    At this time I only have "photoshop elements" it was free when a friend built my PC.

It does have a file info window but the available information is very limited. Do I need to upgrade to another software package? From my point and shoot days I was using Windows to organize my photos and did very little or basic picture manipulation.
  • BrettGBrettG Registered Users Posts: 120 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2006
    Elements will show you lots of EXIF details, but I can't recall exactly where in the program it does this - not file info if I recall (can't check as my Windows PC is dead right now). Check the help file...

Windows (XP anyways) will show a fair bit of the common EXIF values right in the file explorer, for JPEGs anyways. Go to your jpg directory, right click on a file, select Properties, and on one of the tabs in the dialog (last one I think?). There should be an Advanced button on that page - click that to see more details.

Further, in the advanced/detailed file view of a directory in Explorer you can right click on a column heading and select mmmmm (going from memory here) customize or add columns or something - you should get quite a list of exif values you can have Explorer display columns for all the files it's listing.

Hope that helps.
  • IslandRIslandR Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited August 10, 2006
    BrettG

Your right

Under properties in XP just click on the "Summary" Tab then choose "Advanced" below , and all info is there.

Thanks