green screen bleed

TheridamasTheridamas Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
edited August 14, 2006 in Finishing School
Hey every one!
I am new to the site and this is my first post. My problem is I shot using a green screen and have a green cast on the pictures. I am not sure how I got it or how to remove it, I am going to try to inclose a picture to show.:dunno

Comments

• cletuscletus Registered Users Posts: 1,930 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2006
    Theridamas wrote:
    Hey every one!
    I am not sure how I got it...

The green paper on the floor has reflected light back up onto your subject.

Not sure about a fix though.

Oh, welcome to dgrin wave.gif
  • AnthonyAnthony Registered Users Posts: 149 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2006
    cletus wrote:
    The green paper on the floor has reflected light back up onto your subject.

Not sure about a fix though.

Oh, welcome to dgrin wave.gif

One thought... once the people have been extracted, they could be subjected to a dose of either hue/saturation and/or selective colour on the greens.

Anthony.
  • BodleyBodley Registered Users Posts: 766 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2006
    Theridamas wrote:
    I shot using a green screen and have a green cast on the pictures.

Ditto on "It's a reflection from the paper".

Which program are you using to do the extractions (assuming you don't want a green background) and have you been satisfied with the results?
    Greg
    "Tis better keep your mouth shut and be thought of as an idiot than to open your mouth and remove all doubt"
  • TheridamasTheridamas Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited August 10, 2006
    green hue
    Bodley wrote:
    Ditto on "It's a reflection from the paper".

Which program are you using to do the extractions (assuming you don't want a green background) and have you been satisfied with the results?

I am using CS2 and I am not very satisfied with the results! cutout seam to go okay, but getting the green hue, out is a real pain.
    larry
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2006
    Did you try a black/gray back?
    For the cutout purposes and non-raven-haired caucasian people wearing bright colors black/gray backdrop may work just fine (at least no color shadows) ne_nau.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • BodleyBodley Registered Users Posts: 766 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2006
    Theridamas wrote:
    I am using CS2 and I am not very satisfied with the results! cutout seam to go okay, but getting the green hue, out is a real pain.
    larry

I can't help the hue problem but (caution thread hijack) what method are you using in CS2 do the extraction - the "Magic Wand" to select the area to remove or the extract filter or .......
    Greg
    "Tis better keep your mouth shut and be thought of as an idiot than to open your mouth and remove all doubt"
  • Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2006
    Bodley wrote:
    I can't help the hue problem but (caution thread hijack) what method are you using in CS2 do the extraction - the "Magic Wand" to select the area to remove or the extract filter or .......

Try the background eraser thumb.gif That should work well with the green screen. May even be able to take out some of the green reflections from the ghis.
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • AnthonyAnthony Registered Users Posts: 149 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2006
    We seem to have moved away a bit from the original OP's question which was about removing the green cast on the children's clothing. I think he is okay with the extraction bit.

So, money where mouth is... I made a rough selection using a colour range selection and pasted the girls onto a new layer (I left the whole picture on the background - no cutting out stuff). A simple hue-saturation adjustment of the greens - slider all the way to the left + an adjustment to the yellows of about half way, seemed to do the trick. Flattened and saved. Time taken about 1 minute, most of which was the selection/pasting to a new layer.

On a larger version and taking a little more time, I am sure the result would be better.

Anthony.

greenbleed-edit.jpg
  • StustaffStustaff Registered Users Posts: 680 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2006
    Nice job! looks good to me, as good as it can at that sze anyway.
    Trapped in my bedroom taking pictures...did i say bedroom? i meant studio!

My www. place is www.belperphoto.co.uk
    My smugmug galleries at http://stuarthill.smugmug.com
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2006
    If you have a chance to do a little practice shooting with the GS...try cutting down on the light...not knowing your set up(usually the eyes tell at least part of the story) ...either cut the lights output by the out put controls or try a different umbrella set up...if using shoot-thru go for bounce, if using silver change to white....etc.....You should be able to find a compatable set up that will work and save you PP.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited August 11, 2006
    A magenta photo filter move in PSCS2 will help remove the green cast, or you may adjust the curve in the a channel in LAB.

Use an adjustment layer with either method. You can then control the local areas of application by using a layer mask and painting in with white or black as needed to correct the correction.

Shooting white wedding dresses on a golf course frequently will give the same reflected hue to the dress if you're not very careful. DAMHIK!!
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
    edited August 14, 2006
    Bodley wrote:

Sorry, I took soooo long getting back, (went camping over the weekend).
    I don't know what thread hijack is?, but I have been trying several thing, to see which I can use best, ( and easyest). Color range, the extract tool. but mostly I just outline it with the polygonal lasso tool.
    edited August 14, 2006
    Anthony wrote:
    We seem to have moved away a bit from the original OP's question which was about removing the green cast on the children's clothing. I think he is okay with the extraction bit.

So, money where mouth is... I made a rough selection using a colour range selection and pasted the girls onto a new layer (I left the whole picture on the background - no cutting out stuff). A simple hue-saturation adjustment of the greens - slider all the way to the left + an adjustment to the yellows of about half way, seemed to do the trick. Flattened and saved. Time taken about 1 minute, most of which was the selection/pasting to a new layer.

On a larger version and taking a little more time, I am sure the result would be better.

Anthony.

greenbleed-edit.jpg

thanks Anthony
    I downloaded your adusted pic and will look at it better. I will be giving this a try.
    sorry for the long comeback, been camping.
    T
    edited August 14, 2006
    Art Scott wrote:
    If you have a chance to do a little practice shooting with the GS...try cutting down on the light...not knowing your set up(usually the eyes tell at least part of the story) ...either cut the lights output by the out put controls or try a different umbrella set up...if using shoot-thru go for bounce, if using silver change to white....etc.....You should be able to find a compatable set up that will work and save you PP.

It's true I do need a lot more practice shooting with the GS, this was my first time. The set up is with novatron Lights, using silver umbrellas to bounce the light. I am kind of close cause I am only using a 440 power supply and want two light to get a f/11 @ 125 sec with 100asa. Any help in that area would be nice, but that can be a hole nother thread.

thanks
    T