URGENT need a US-based camera insurance company ASAP

TylerWTylerW Registered Users Posts: 428 Major grins
edited August 11, 2006 in Cameras
something that would cover my gear for a trans-atlantic flight tomorrow. Must covera digital camera, digital video camera and computer equipment checked into the baggage hold of a commercial aircraft.

I'm on a flight booked through London Heathrow tomorrow and no carryons are allowed, and I'll be damned to trust my gear to low-rent baggage carriers without something backing it.

thanks in advance.
http://www.tylerwinegarner.com

Canon 40d | Canon 17-40 f/4L | Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 | Canon 50mm f/1.8 | Canon 70-200mm f/4 L

Comments

• BodleyBodley Registered Users Posts: 766 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2006
    TylerW wrote:
    something that would cover my gear for a trans-atlantic flight tomorrow. Must covera digital camera, digital video camera and computer equipment checked into the baggage hold of a commercial aircraft.

I'm on a flight booked through London Heathrow tomorrow and no carryons are allowed, and I'll be damned to trust my gear to low-rent baggage carriers without something backing it.

thanks in advance.

FWIW mine is through State Farm. Not sure if your travels would have an impact on the policy.
    Greg
    "Tis better keep your mouth shut and be thought of as an idiot than to open your mouth and remove all doubt"
  • AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited August 10, 2006
    Tyler:

If it were me, timing and circumstances being what they are, I'd ship my gear seperately via a carrier like DHL.

Good luck.
  • TylerWTylerW Registered Users Posts: 428 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2006
    I don't see any specific policy through your website. Is yours a part of a home insurance plan?

Canon 40d | Canon 17-40 f/4L | Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 | Canon 50mm f/1.8 | Canon 70-200mm f/4 L
  • TylerWTylerW Registered Users Posts: 428 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2006
    Angelo wrote:
    Tyler:

If it were me, timing and circumstances being what they are, I'd ship my gear seperately via a carrier like DHL.

Good luck.

That's another plan I'm considering. But doing so means missing flights, which may mean that I could be stuck in London for a while until the flight situation becomes def**ked.

• JeffroJeffro Registered Users Posts: 1,941 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2006
    My coverage is via a rider attached to my homeowners (Country Companies) and covers the equipement for just about anything you can think of. If you have homeowner's insurance give your agent a call.
    Always lurking, sometimes participating. :D
  • cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2006
    Why not buy a Pelican case to store it all? Well protected, even from a mindless luggage gorilla:

Pelican case

Pelican

Miight be cheaper than insurance, and likely safer
  • JusticeiroJusticeiro Registered Users Posts: 1,177 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2006
    I'm flying from Nashville to Newark tomorrow, does this carry on ban cover domestic flights as well?
    Cave ab homine unius libri
  • aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2006
    I think only liquids are banned as of August 10 for domestic travel.

TSA press release
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2006
    cmason wrote:
    Why not buy a Pelican case to store it all? Well protected, even from a mindless luggage gorilla:

Pelican case

Pelican

Lots of thieving baggage handlers.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
    edited August 10, 2006
    Justiceiro wrote:
    I'm flying from Nashville to Newark tomorrow, does this carry on ban cover domestic flights as well?
    For US domestic flights:

TRAVELERS' ALERT:

As many of you have probably heard or read, intelligence investigators have uncovered and thwarted a terrorist plot to detonate explosives on board commercial aircraft originating in England, bound for the United States. As a result, the Department of Homeland Security and the Transportation Security Agency have raised the threat levels for transcontinental flights to "RED", and domestic flights to "ORANGE".

The impact on travelers will be longer waits for very thorough security checks that will exclude many items from being carried aboard the aircraft in hand luggage.

PROHIBITED ITEMS include ALL liquids (water, soft drinks, lotions, juices, after shave products, eye care solutions, liquid deodorant, shampoo, etc.), aerosols and gels (lotion, hand sanitizer, sunscreen, makeup, toothpaste, etc.). If there is ANY doubt in your mind as to whether or not something is allowed, DO NOT attempt to bring that item on board in carryon luggage. It is recommended that such items be placed in checked baggage in a separate, clear plastic Ziplock baggie that is placed on top of clothing for easy access by security personnel.

ALLOWED ITEMS include medicines that have labels with the traveler's name and baby formula or milk to sustain an infant traveling with you for the length of the flight.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
  • gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2006
    wxwax wrote:
    I was waiting on an airport shuttle bus beside the plane in vienna & doing the usual bored " get this thing over to the terminal stare " out the window. I & the other passengers witnessed our bags being thrown over a cage on one of those little tractor train things. The first 10 or so bags were thrown over the 6 foot cage & cleared it by a foot thus they all fell about 7 foot onto the steel floor until enough were there to soften the load. God forbid they have enough brains to work out that the owners were watching & there was a gate on the trailer.

I have no idea other than GOOD insurance

This is just so bloody crazy...its exactly what terrorists want.
  • gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2006
    wxwax wrote:
    For US domestic flights:

TRAVELERS' ALERT:

As many of you have probably heard or read, intelligence investigators have uncovered and thwarted a terrorist plot to detonate explosives on board commercial aircraft originating in England, bound for the United States. As a result, the Department of Homeland Security and the Transportation Security Agency have raised the threat levels for transcontinental flights to "RED", and domestic flights to "ORANGE".

The impact on travelers will be longer waits for very thorough security checks that will exclude many items from being carried aboard the aircraft in hand luggage.

PROHIBITED ITEMS include ALL liquids (water, soft drinks, lotions, juices, after shave products, eye care solutions, liquid deodorant, shampoo, etc.), aerosols and gels (lotion, hand sanitizer, sunscreen, makeup, toothpaste, etc.). If there is ANY doubt in your mind as to whether or not something is allowed, DO NOT attempt to bring that item on board in carryon luggage. It is recommended that such items be placed in checked baggage in a separate, clear plastic Ziplock baggie that is placed on top of clothing for easy access by security personnel.

ALLOWED ITEMS include medicines that have labels with the traveler's name and baby formula or milk to sustain an infant traveling with you for the length of the flight.

ok sid...i'll play. They dont mention cameras/lenses headscratch.gif
  • Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2006
    cmason wrote:
    rolleyes1.gif
    cmason wrote:
    Try to pack your pelicase in a cheap beaten up softbag,
    luggage gorillas won't hear it scream "steal me" as loud.
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
  • 20DNoob20DNoob Registered Users Posts: 318 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2006
    Link for some info about electronics(as of this moment anyway).

Edit:
    Just found out coming out of the UK your not allowed to bring ANYTHING carryon.
    Christian.

5D2/1D MkII N/40D and a couple bits of glass.
    edited August 11, 2006
    gus wrote:
    ok sid...i'll play. They dont mention cameras/lenses headscratch.gif
    Right, I posted the complete USA restrictions for the sake of clarity.
    Sid.
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2006
    wxwax wrote:

However a pelican (or storm or similar case)...plus the usage of a TSA approved lock can truly hinder those theiving baggage handlers.

Most stores (Wally World and good hardware stores) carry TSA approved locks.....these locks have a special "master key" or "master combination" that all TSA inspectors have at their disposal.

Good luck and please post the final results of these travels.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• JusticeiroJusticeiro Registered Users Posts: 1,177 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2006
    Just arrived back in NYC from Nashville. My LowePro, filled with electronic circuitry and 4 steel tubes (one of them a rather long 300mm Medium Format "fatty"), as usual was not even sniffed at. I had to check my other bag because I had Gel Deodorant. ISYN. Otherwise, cameras can still be carried on for domestic flights. International, no.

Field day for lightfingered baggage handlers (of which there are quite a few). I'd definitely go with insurance.
    Cave ab homine unius libri