Options

I hate it when...

Phil U.Phil U. Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
edited November 30, 2004 in Holy Macro
...power lines get in the way of my shots.

11920408-O.jpg

I went out last night to catch some shots of the moon. I had seen it looking very cool with wierd clouds. Of course once I had a chance to actually stop what I was doing and go shoot, all the clouds were gone. I found this and decided to play a little.

I had to display it in this size for 2 reasons

1) anything smaller looked terrible
2) any smaller and you couldn't see the blue spots from the zapping electric jumping between the lines. That's right - thats what those blue spots are on the lines. Whenever you're under these types of lines, you can hear zapping (especially on really humid days). I wondered if it would show up since you can never see it with your eyes (at least I haven't). Sure enough, the long exposure caught it.

This was stacked with 7 exposures to reduce noise. I also made a moderately heavy levels adjustment.

Comments

• Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,011 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2004
    I see them. Great capture, kinda scary, I'll have to look for them next time I'm near any wire.
    Al
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    NirNir Registered Users Posts: 1,400 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2004
    Nice shot!

Nir Alon

images of my thoughts
  • Options
    hutchmanhutchman Registered Users Posts: 255 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2004
    Nice!

I also hate the fact that there seem to be power lines running everywhere. But then I try and visualize what how life would change without electricity. Electricity makes life much better. I think that I will try to put up with the power lines!

Hutch
    PS. I work for an electric utility, but this is not a commercial for the electric industry! ne_nau.gifne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited November 28, 2004
    Nice reminder not to climb up to the lines...
    Allen wrote:
    I see them. Great capture, kinda scary, I'll have to look for them next time I'm near any wire.
    Al

Yea, I have always noticed the zapping, but never gave it much thought to it being visible. I guess that's just a clue to what they mean when they say high voltage...
  • Options
    edited November 28, 2004
    Nir wrote:
    Nice shot!

Thanks!
  • Options
    edited November 28, 2004
    hutchman wrote:
    Nice!

PS. I work for an electric utility, but this is not a commercial for the electric industry! ne_nau.gifne_nau.gif

rolleyes1.gif

Yea, I thought it was kinda funny - I'm usually cursing the power lines when they're in the way of a shot that I'm looking at and even worse when I don't notice them until post. Here I am intentionally taking a shot of the lines...

But I'm with you - I am certainly in a sad state when I'm without power even for a few hours - I don't know what to do with myself.
  • Options
    photocatphotocat Registered Users Posts: 1,334 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2004
    Phil U. wrote:
    rolleyes1.gif

Yea, I thought it was kinda funny - I'm usually cursing the power lines when they're in the way of a shot that I'm looking at and even worse when I don't notice them until post. Here I am intentionally taking a shot of the lines...

But I'm with you - I am certainly in a sad state when I'm without power even for a few hours - I don't know what to do with myself.

Nice shots Phil... It is different when you make the powerlines the subject.
    Then they can be artistic... I would not want to live near them though...
    One fried ImacG5 is more then enough...
  • Options
    edited November 28, 2004
    photocat wrote:
    One fried ImacG5 is more then enough...

Ouch, that is quite a loss. Hope you passed the pain along to your insurance company.
  • Options
    photocatphotocat Registered Users Posts: 1,334 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2004
    Phil U. wrote:
    Ouch, that is quite a loss. Hope you passed the pain along to your insurance company.

Nope... I was stupid enough to think that the new apple mac came with dual voltage. HAH, it does not... I fried it with plugging it in the english mains who are 220. The machine is 110. Since we bought it in the States (hubby is american) apple US sends us to apple UK, apple UK can not do anything cause we bought it in the States.
    We had a dual voltage power supply put in out of our own pocket.
    Every buyer for the apple iMac G5: check voltage... The previous computers were dual but not this one!!!
  • Options
    edited November 29, 2004
    photocat wrote:
    Nope... I was stupid enough to think that the new apple mac came with dual voltage. HAH, it does not...
    Whoops! That's an even more painful loss when it's your own fault.:bash
  • Options
    happysnapperhappysnapper Registered Users Posts: 224 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2004
    The colour in this photo is amazing. I like it alot.
    thumb.gifthumb.gifthumb.gif

Yvette
    :roflhappily snapping
  • Options
    edited November 30, 2004
    The colour in this photo is amazing. I like it alot.
    thumb.gifthumb.gifthumb.gif

Yvette
    Thanks. The moon was very bright that night so with the 30-second exposure, it really did light up the sky. I had the camera set for "Tungsten" WB so it shifted it to the blue side giving it that cool color.