Options

I want to be price police

2»

Comments

• Options
    Ric GrupeRic Grupe Registered Users Posts: 9,522 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2006
    Bodley wrote:
    I bought some stuff from Windoze ........... Hmmmmm ........ maybe I need to check what I paid rolleyes1.gif

Seriously, I checked before I bought and was pleased with the transactions. And as a side note, buying from Dgrin (or I guess any board that a person frequents enough to feel as they know the people) paying a little extra may be justified because you know what your getting from known respected sellers.

I agree!

No one that frequents this forum would want to tarnish their name by sticking it to another member; much less someone who has been around as long as Troy has.
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,179 moderator
    edited August 14, 2006
    Ric Grupe wrote:
    I agree!

No one that frequents this forum would want to tarnish their name by sticking it to another member; much less someone who has been around as long as Troy has.

thumb.gif

So true, Ric. One of the benefits of a community such as ours here. The local meetups and shootouts also help to strengthen the support and trust between one another. And after getting to know a couple dozen Dgrinners at the May shootout, I wouldn't hesitate to deal with any of them for a purchase, sale or trade.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    mr peasmr peas Registered Users Posts: 1,369 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2006
    Can somebody put me up to speed on what just happened? Who did what now? ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2006
    mr peas wrote:
    Can somebody put me up to speed on what just happened? Who did what now? ne_nau.gif
    Someone was price policing here. We discourage it.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    OlgaJOlgaJ Registered Users Posts: 146 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2006
    I've been the recipient of such price police messages in 3 of the last 5 items that I have posted for sale.

The motivation of some folks has been to be helpful to me as the seller. Their desired message is really "if you want to sell faster, you may have to lower the price." But what they are missing in the process of trying to be helpful is what my motivation, as a seller, is.

They may not understand that one of my motivations may be that I'm just "feeling the market." They may not understand that if I can get a certain price, I'm interested in selling, otherwise I'm not interested in selling.

What they also do not understand is that as a buyer I am willing to pay a small premium to someone I know and trust rather than be looking for the lowest price.

Their biggest mistake is to completely ignore the true market force of supply and demand. If I'm overpricing an item, it is I that does not get the sale. Let me learn from my own actions or inactions.

It's not about ripping anyone off. I doubt that anyone shopping in these forums is clueless about prices.

And about those 3 price policed items? Two sold right away.

Olga
  • Options
    VichVich Registered Users Posts: 78 Big grins
    edited August 14, 2006
    Also; the person doing the price policing was ill mannered (to put it mildly). For sure; price policing in a PM format shouldn't be a problem, it's the placement on your thread that acts like a petitioner at your store-front. Sort of kills the whole sale.

Even questions (from non buyers) can be counter productive. For example; I was selling a 550EX (recently discontinued), had a buyer (no payment yet), then someone starts asking about the differences with the 580EX. Not exactly helpful salesmanship to my thread, and since I already had a buyer, why ask? Let them go to the lighting thread and ask that question. The buyer should be aware of the difference but that post and subsequent list of benifits could make my buyer change his mind.

Granted, this is a fine line. Does that sound reasonable? I guess if it's not sold yet, it's better to lay everything out and answer all questions publicly, but after a buyer is established, then why post questions like that?

Point being; these forums were not put here to rope in suckers. Up-front, honest, forthcoming, and all's fair-n-square sales is what makes it all work. If someone's buying imports and failing to disclose it, or other misleading practices, then we should police them. The price, in and of itself, should not (be policed).
    Gear - 7D, 5Dii, many lenses , much stuff.