Options

Apple ROCKS!

PoseidonPoseidon Registered Users Posts: 504 Major grins
edited August 16, 2006 in Digital Darkroom
I had to try, I was not expecting anything, but I HAD to at least ask. I ordered my PowerMac G5 on thursday last week, and it was delivered on Monday. Well we all know what Apple announced on Monday, the MacPRO. So I called, explained this was my first ever Mac purchase, and asked politely if I could exchange this one for a MacPRO? They didn't even blink! SURE THING Robert said, I am sure we can work that out.

WOW! I am so excited, I can't hardly wait! Now I didn't order a machine as fast as Andy... But for me this is a HUGE jump! I ordered the QUAD Core 2.66, with the 250GB drive and standard video card, standard 1GB of Ram, etc... Ships in 24 hours! WOO HOOO!!!!:clap

I am not so sure ANY PC manufacturer would EVER even CONSIDER this level of customer service!

Now... How do I use OS X? :rofl :rofl
Mike LaPorte
Perfect Pix

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2006
    nod.gif
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2006
    They do rock.

Good onya for asking. I had a feeling they'd help you out with that one.

MacPro. Wow. Congrats. We'll get to your OSX questions when you've got your machine in hand! mwink.gif
    Poseidon wrote:
    I had to try, I was not expecting anything, but I HAD to at least ask. I ordered my PowerMac G5 on thursday last week, and it was delivered on Monday. Well we all know what Apple announced on Monday, the MacPRO. So I called, explained this was my first ever Mac purchase, and asked politely if I could exchange this one for a MacPRO? They didn't even blink! SURE THING Robert said, I am sure we can work that out.

WOW! I am so excited, I can't hardly wait! Now I didn't order a machine as fast as Andy... But for me this is a HUGE jump! I ordered the QUAD Core 2.66, with the 250GB drive and standard video card, standard 1GB of Ram, etc... Ships in 24 hours! WOO HOOO!!!!clap.gif

I am not so sure ANY PC manufacturer would EVER even CONSIDER this level of customer service!

Now... How do I use OS X? rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2006
    Well...
    Poseidon wrote:

Since you kinda asked...

I recently had to upgrade one of my PCs at work. We worked out the specs, order was made, the mini-tower arrived.

I was about to fire it up when I realized that the dual video card I had from the older box and was planning to use with the new one has different form-factor and is incompatible with the new MB.

So, I called the DELL guy who manages our account and explained him my situation. He immediately told me what V-card should be good for my new box, and, considering the situation, took 50% off. Card arrived in a couple of days and I have been happily using it for a week already. :):

So, you were saying? mwink.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2006
    And so it goes... lol3.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2006
    Technically speaking Apple has to do that because it's in their fine print. As with some other companies and stores, Apple states a grace period for exchanges and a somewhat longer grace period for price protection (I used that one when they dropped the PowerBook price after I bought). It's more a case of "if they didn't do it, you could have sued them" rather than "they were being so nice." Still...can't argue that it's a good feeling. I've been treated well by Apple.
  • Options
    edited August 11, 2006
    I figured I could be a jerk about it... and say I hate this computer yada yada... If I referenced the fine print straight off I am sure I would have gotten a different attitude. I was still impressed with all the reps I spoke too, each was very nice and the hold time was not bad at all either.

So far so good with OS X, I am working through it. It is just different enough from windows that I don't feel real confident yet. Also the "eject disk" thing on the desktop is weird. When I am loading files from the CF card, it is an extra step from my XP box, but this more then makes up the time when I start running my batch in CS2....

I am still impressed with the speed of this G5, I can't wait to see what the Pro will do with FOUR 2.66 GHz 64 bit XEON processors!
    Mike LaPorte
    Perfect Pix
  • Options
    edited August 11, 2006
    Poseidon wrote:
    I figured I could be a jerk about it... and say I hate this computer yada yada... If I referenced the fine print straight off I am sure I would have gotten a different attitude. I was still impressed with all the reps I spoke too, each was very nice and the hold time was not bad at all either.

So far so good with OS X, I am working through it. It is just different enough from windows that I don't feel real confident yet. Also the "eject disk" thing on the desktop is weird. When I am loading files from the CF card, it is an extra step from my XP box, but this more then makes up the time when I start running my batch in CS2....

I am still impressed with the speed of this G5, I can't wait to see what the Pro will do with FOUR 2.66 GHz 64 bit XEON processors!

Eject = cmd+e

or right click on icon

or drag to trash
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited August 11, 2006
    You also may want to download xCuts.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2006
    Thanks for the link
    DavidTO wrote:

I'm a long, long, long time user of Apple but I don't know all these shortcuts!

Thanks!!!!!:):
  • Options
    edited August 12, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:

Thanks! That is VERY helpful.
    Mike LaPorte
    Perfect Pix
  • Options
    StevenVStevenV Registered Users Posts: 1,174 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    Eject = cmd+e
    or right click on icon
    or drag to trash
    or use the keyboard

EjectKey_crop.jpg
    http://www.bc.edu/offices/help/meta-elements/jpg/EjectKey_crop.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 12, 2006
    Laughing.gif!

You know I had to search for how to open the superdrive.
    Mike LaPorte
    Perfect Pix
  • Options
    edited August 12, 2006
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    Very nice, I'll have to play with those. I've been figuring out how PC shortcuts (Word) translate to a Mac keyboard.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2006
    Quicksilver. Get it, learn it, love it.
    Coverflow impresses your friends.
    jungledisk = teh r0x0rz backup using amazon S3
    delicious library is rad.
    flip4mac is handy but you don't have to buy it, get the free version from MS (oddly enough)
    Corripio gets all your itunes artwork among other things.

Obviously firefox and probably some others I'm missing.
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • Options
    edited August 16, 2006
    The Pro is coming! The Pro is coming!

MAC PRO 2.66QX/2X512/7300GT/250/SD-USA it shipped yesterday, with a delivery date of Aug 22nd. Funny though, Apple shipped my G5 by overnight EXPRESS and the Pro is coming the slow way.... Maybe they wanted me to get this G5 before they announced the Pro's huh? ;)

I can't wait to pop this one open and drop in my 2 other SATA 250GB drives, and have a rock solid system with almost a terabyte of storage. Heck I may have to go out and buy another 250GB drive, just to say I have a TERABYTE! That has a cool sound to it!
    Mike LaPorte
    Perfect Pix