Canon Powershot SD700 IS

Red BullRed Bull Registered Users Posts: 719 Major grins
edited August 13, 2006 in Cameras
So I've been thinking of getting a P&S camera soon, one nice and small so I can just slip it into my pocket and take it anywhere. I've been eyeing the Powershot SD700 IS. It looks like a pretty sweet camera. Has anyone used it? If so, do you like it? I've read reviews on it and I'm pretty convinced on getting it when I have all the money.

P.S. - I will be buying it over a Canon 100 macro lens, so it better be good.:wxwax
-Steven

http://redbull.smugmug.com

"Money can't buy happiness...But it can buy expensive posessions that make other people envious, and that feels just as good.":D

Canon 20D, Canon 50 1.8 II, Canon 70-200 f/4L, Canon 17-40 f/4 L, Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro, Canon 430ex.

Comments

• PhotogiverPhotogiver Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
    edited August 12, 2006
    My dad just bought one and I used it tonight. Its a nice little camera. Only thing I don't like is the mode dial. Otherwise it takes beautiful pictures. The SD 630 is probably just as good picture wise but it doesn't have IS or a viewfinder. I'd say just go ahead with the 700. Its the best in its class. I reviewed the pictures from tonight and they are nice and clean. Although there is another compact which handles ISO 800 significantly better - the Fuji Finepix F30. Take a look at these ISO comparison samples. But how often do you really need that with a compact. In the final test, Canon wins in overall IQ. Get the Canon.
  • XtopherousXtopherous Registered Users Posts: 45 Big grins
    edited August 12, 2006
    I think I would personally opt for the 550 over the 700IS. Mostly because I don't see myself needing ISO800 (50-400 is good enough in a P&S for me) or the image stabilization and I'd rather have the extra megapixel for $100+ less.
  • Red BullRed Bull Registered Users Posts: 719 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2006
    Thanks for you opinions so far. I'll be leaving for camp (for 1 week) tomorrow morning so I'll be dragging along my Powershot A80. (Which has and still serves me very well) It's times like these where I wish I had a smaller one like the SD700 to fit nicely into my pocket!
    -Steven

http://redbull.smugmug.com

"Money can't buy happiness...But it can buy expensive posessions that make other people envious, and that feels just as good.":D

Canon 20D, Canon 50 1.8 II, Canon 70-200 f/4L, Canon 17-40 f/4 L, Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro, Canon 430ex.
  • illuminati919illuminati919 Registered Users Posts: 713 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2006
    I work at Circuit City in the imaging dept and I've played with it many times, the camera takes phenomonal photos and has probably the best macro on a pt and shoot that I have ever seen. If you want to go with something a little cheaper and same quality I would also suggest the Canon SD600, exact same camera but different body style and a few less features. Good Luck!
    ~~~www.markoknezevic.com~~~

Setup: One camera, one lens, and one roll of film.