what res to upload photos?

chet79chet79 Registered Users Posts: 64 Big grins
edited August 14, 2006 in SmugMug Support
Hi - just got my standard smugmug account, and I'm wondering, what size do I upload my photos? do I resize them before uploading?

also, is it possible to customise my account / galleries so friends can view my photos in full size?

thanks, Andrew

Comments

• devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited August 13, 2006
    chet79 wrote:
    Hi - just got my standard smugmug account, and I'm wondering, what size do I upload my photos? do I resize them before uploading?

also, is it possible to customise my account / galleries so friends can view my photos in full size?

thanks, Andrew

Hey Andrew,

I would suggest to upload your photos in the largest res possible. For one, smugmug creates several size anyway. And secondly, it's a great external backup of your photos.

I also suggest that you look into the share groups functionality, i think this may provide the functionality that you are looking for for your friends.

Cheers,

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • chet79chet79 Registered Users Posts: 64 Big grins
    edited August 13, 2006
    thanks for the prompt reply David. Yeah thought that highest res would be the best bet.

Will look into the share groups functionality.
  • ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2006
    Welcome to dgrin, chet79! wave.gif
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2006
    chet79 wrote:
    thanks for the prompt reply David. Yeah thought that highest res would be the best bet.

Will look into the share groups functionality.
    Hi Chet, and here are two help pages with lots of info:

http://www.smugmug.com/help/print-quality
    http://www.smugmug.com/help/share-groups
    edited August 13, 2006
    Hi and thanks ivar.

thanks Andy - I think I've just gone and confused myself. I got resolution mixed up with pixels (width x height). I wanted to know what size I should upload my pictures in (eg. downsize to 1024 x 768)?

I probably won't be printing photos via online, I live all the way over in Australia :)

thanks for the links all the same.
    edited August 13, 2006
    Hey Chet,

I see you're in Melbourne. Whereabouts are you ? I'm in the Eastern Suburbs.

I NEVER modify the height, width, etc of any of my photos prior to uploading unless cropping for a particular reason.

Seriously, even if you don't use the printing side of SM, personally i find it very comforting to know that I can download a full size original of any of my photos at any time, even if i do have to turn on some gallery settings.

Cheers,

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
    edited August 13, 2006
    Hi David,

I'm over near Essendon Airport :)

yeah you do have a good point there - especially seeing that SM accounts allow don't have a maximum storage space :)

so is there a way to set what size you view your pictures in within your galleries?
    edited August 13, 2006
    chet79 wrote:
    Hi David,

I'm over near Essendon Airport :)

yeah you do have a good point there - especially seeing that SM accounts allow don't have a maximum storage space :)

so is there a way to set what size you view your pictures in within your galleries?

it depends on the type of account you have.

All accounts enable you to turn off 'Originals'.
    Pro accounts also enable you to turn off 'Large'

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
    edited August 13, 2006
    ahhh right :)

I have the standard acct. Why would I want to turn off large? To preserve my acct bandwidth?
    edited August 13, 2006
    chet79 wrote:
    ahhh right :)

I have the standard acct. Why would I want to turn off large? To preserve my acct bandwidth?

Andrew,

Maybe, sometimes pro don't want certain sizes available. I think that feature was used a fair bit before custom watermarking was introduced. Now that pros can watermark their images how they want, i reckon that the number turning off large will decrease.

Cheers,

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • DnaDna Registered Users Posts: 435 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2006
    chet79 wrote:
    Hi and thanks ivar.

I probably won't be printing photos via online, I live all the way over in Australia :)
    Why not ? I do all the time ... and so do my clients.

Dna

(another from Eastern Suburbs.mwink.gif)
    edited August 13, 2006
    is it worth it? how much is postage?
  • DnaDna Registered Users Posts: 435 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2006
    chet79 wrote:
    is it worth it? how much is postage?
    Mostly my clients order 6"x4" and up to (I think) 20 is only US$3.50 The little extra they have to pay is offset by the convience and ease of the cart.

Dna