My best friend's birthday!

NirNir Registered Users Posts: 1,400 Major grins
edited November 28, 2004 in Holy Macro
Thursday was my best friend's birthday. Dorit also happens to be my legal wife and mother of my children :lust
I took the day off from work to prepare a surprise Chinese dinner, but couldn't get through the day without some photography. So, I thought I would record the process...

The morning started at 6:15 AM when my kids surprised their mom in bed with a birthday cake, card, presents and a cup of coffee
11869448-M.jpg

I left the house early to work (not really :wink , I went to the supermarket) and when Dorit had gone to work and the kids to school I came back and started to work.

The first dish was the soup. Here's what went into it -
11877040-M.jpg

Then I began preparing the fried wontons. First stage chopping the vegetables -

11877005-M.jpg

Then frying them with the chopped chicken breast -
11877006-M.jpg

When the stuffing was ready -
11877007-M.jpg

I began preparing the dough -
11877008-M.jpg

Learning how to stuf and fold the wontons in the unique way they must be done was quite an experience but I think I mastered that part -
11877010-M.jpg

Wish I had mastered photography as well as folding wontons because then the next shot would be in better focus -
11869444-M.jpg

Next dish to be prepared was the Cod fillet in cashew nuts. By this time I needed a little assistance the white wine provided -
11877011-M.jpg

Ready for the pan -
11877013-M.jpg

Voila!
11869447-M.jpg

Next dish, "Lions Heads" meatballs with rice noodles as 'manes' for the lions' heads -
11877025-M.jpg

It was fun but do they know they need to look like lions' heads?

11869432-M.jpg

Prepared some white rice and sweet & sour sauce and then the desert - fried apples and pineapple in sesame -
11869441-M.jpg

Come dinner time, Dorit was very happy, the kids were happy, my mother-in-law was happy, I was pooped!
11869449-M.jpg

After dinner we even had some entertainment

11877052-M.jpg

It was a long day but a fun evening!

Question - when doing the closeups of the dishes, with an 828 28-200mm lens, how do I eliminate the distortion? I did all of them from close up. Is it better to get farther away and zoom in? Would I loose detail from farther away? Or is this the best I can get from the lens?

Thanks for looking!

Nir Alon

images of my thoughts

Comments

• ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,904 moderator
    edited November 28, 2004
    Nir,

Any leftovers? What time should we be over? :D

First, Happy B-day to your wife! Next, I like the lighting
    in the soup shot. Really nice looking!

ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?