DA comes to Baskerville

TassieDTassieD Registered Users Posts: 711 Major grins
edited August 14, 2006 in Sports
A couple from todays action. More to come after next weekends round of the Toyo Drift Australia Championship.

Beau "The Show" Yates
87784780-M.jpg

Darren "Afro" Appleton
87784793-M.jpg
Cheers
David Clifford

Comments

• F45F45 Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2006
    Hi David,

Nice captures. They look pretty sharp...but what exactly is the purpose of drifting competitions?
    Do they drift for distance or for best control around corners or something?? ne_nau.gif
    Cheers,

Chris Sedg. :cool
    www.christophersedgwick.com

• TassieDTassieD Registered Users Posts: 711 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2006
    F45 wrote:
    Hi David,

Nice captures. They look pretty sharp...but what exactly is the purpose of drifting competitions?
    Do they drift for distance or for best control around corners or something?? ne_nau.gif

Thanks for the comments Chris,

They have a set course where they must run. The purpose is to have as much angle on the car through the corners and around the course as possible. Showing how much car control they have at speed without straightening up.

Thats my view on the sport, still pretty new here though.
    Cheers
    David Clifford
  • F45F45 Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2006
    Thanks David...there seems to be quite a few drifting comps in my corner of the world but having not seen any of them personally, I was just curious!!
    Cheers,

Chris Sedg. :cool
    www.christophersedgwick.com

edited August 14, 2006
    F45 wrote:
    Thanks David...there seems to be quite a few drifting comps in my corner of the world but having not seen any of them personally, I was just curious!!

Glad I could be of assistance Chris. If you get a chance and you don't mind smoke and burnt rubber I would say get along and catch a comp. I am looking forward to this weekend for the penultamate round of the series.
    Cheers
    David Clifford
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited August 14, 2006
    F45 wrote:
    Hi David,

It's kinda like mogul skiing - it's a race, but the times are adjusted by style points as awarded by a judge. You can't win by just blasting through the course, but you also can't win by looking the best but going painfully slow.

Tassie - you have anymore head-on type shots? Cars in profile don't really convey the sense of drifting too much, I reckon.
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• mr peasmr peas Registered Users Posts: 1,369 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2006
    man drifting is big everywhere now! cool photos, but you know the best areas for drifting would be on the corner of widest 'sweepers'. you can catch a lot of camber and oppositelock in your frame, its usually where all the press stands lol. but it sucks when you dont have a press pass.

how is the scene there? over here in the states its been growing and growing. 4 years ago, no one really commented on my car (a 95 nissan 240sx) and now that the drift movie came out and d1gp and formula-d in the states is growing, these cars have been new targets for admiration, but also for theft ;( just wondering how it is in australia ;)
    edited August 14, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:
    It's kinda like mogul skiing - it's a race, but the times are adjusted by style points as awarded by a judge. You can't win by just blasting through the course, but you also can't win by looking the best but going painfully slow.

Tassie - you have anymore head-on type shots? Cars in profile don't really convey the sense of drifting too much, I reckon.

Hi Erik,

I have a couple but due to bad light they are not the best. I am attending one of the major rounds this weekend and will have a few to post after that.

87784776-M.jpg

87784784-M.jpg
    Cheers
    David Clifford
    edited August 14, 2006
    mr peas wrote:
    man drifting is big everywhere now! cool photos, but you know the best areas for drifting would be on the corner of widest 'sweepers'. you can catch a lot of camber and oppositelock in your frame, its usually where all the press stands lol. but it sucks when you dont have a press pass.

how is the scene there? over here in the states its been growing and growing. 4 years ago, no one really commented on my car (a 95 nissan 240sx) and now that the drift movie came out and d1gp and formula-d in the states is growing, these cars have been new targets for admiration, but also for theft ;( just wondering how it is in australia ;)

The scene has been slowly building momentum here for a while (on the mainland) down here in Tassie it is just 12 months old but growing quickly.

I had a pass for the last event and the event this weekend so will take you suggestions on board and see what I come up with.
    Cheers
    David Clifford