Let's talk about...

marygracemarygrace Registered Users Posts: 73 Big grins
edited November 30, 2004 in Technique
...the most creative way you've stayed still. I tried doing some night shots the other night and - even with my tripod - I just couldn't stay still. I ended up lying on the floor just to get a shot and still not good enough. Just wanted to know what else others have tried so I don't feel like the only fool. Anything else I should own in my goodie bag? Any specific workouts to strengthen myself up? Any special shoes to buy? Etc.

Thanks. :dunno
marygrace
my photos go here

D200
D70
18-70/3.5
85/1.8
50/1.8
lens baby 2.0

Comments

• Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2004
    marygrace wrote:
    ...the most creative way you've stayed still. I tried doing some night shots the other night and - even with my tripod - I just couldn't stay still. I ended up lying on the floor just to get a shot and still not good enough. Just wanted to know what else others have tried so I don't feel like the only fool. Anything else I should own in my goodie bag? Any specific workouts to strengthen myself up? Any special shoes to buy? Etc.

Thanks. ne_nau.gif
    Not sure if I understand correctly, but night shots should be done with a tripod. A stout tripod made of metal or equivalent. When it is breezy I will also attach a 10 pound weight to the central column to further improve stability. Also don't extend the central column, just use the legs of the tripod to reach the height you need for the camera. With that setup, I have never had a problem with stability or any kind of camera shake.
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • photocatphotocat Registered Users Posts: 1,334 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2004
    Guess I was the only one ever found on the stairs of the White Tower in London, people stepping over and next to me, because I wanted that shot of the Raven so bad... You are not alone in stupid poses...
  • lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2004
    photocat wrote:
    Guess I was the only one ever found on the stairs of the White Tower in London, people stepping over and next to me, because I wanted that shot of the Raven so bad... You are not alone in stupid poses...
    Standing in a mucky swamp with my tripod AND my crutches AND a cast on my leg..needless to say.. the shot was lousy...rolleyes1.gif
  • Michiel de BriederMichiel de Brieder Registered Users Posts: 864 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2004
    Laughing.gif, that reminds me:
    I once wanted to photograph a church in Edinburgh, I really was in the gutter that time mwink.gif a friend of mine took a picture then, I still got to get the digital version of it
    Thanks for bringing back the memory!
    As for keeping still.. bracing myself against something works, and Andys famous strap method of course ;) use the camera strap to hold the camera away from you (at fullest arm-length) and shoot! It takes some practice but allows for some really slow shutter!
    Cheers
    *In my mind it IS real*
    Michiel de Brieder
    http://www.digital-eye.nl
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2004
    i was prone on grand central terminal's floor to get this shot :D

4698465-L.jpg
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,694 moderator
    edited November 28, 2004
    andy wrote:
    i was prone on grand central terminal's floor to get this shot :D

4698465-S.jpg

Prone is good!!! Kind of hard on your khaki's though. I was flat on my back for this one at the airfield.
    11987135-L.jpg

That is precisely why we need a good DSLR with an auxilliary LCD screen that pivots and can be used as an Electronic View Finder - This would combine the best of both worlds - I love my SLRs, but waist level view finders are vastly better for candids for me. They just don't seem as threatening to the subjects as putting that big black box up in front of my face.
    A tripod is the best device - it slows the photographer down substantially and forces him/her to really examine the image, all the way out to the edges. Also helps make for sharper images by preventing camera shake too.thumb.gif
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • yvonneyvonne Registered Users Posts: 193 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2004
    marygrace wrote:

Thanks. ne_nau.gif
    I used to find that I would wobble the camera by depressing the shutter. So instead I use a remote shutter, or if you don't have one, set your camera to shoot on 10s delay. That way it has stopped wobbling from pressing the button by the time it starts to open the shutter.
  • marygracemarygrace Registered Users Posts: 73 Big grins
    edited November 30, 2004
    Great (and funny) ideas. I need to try out some of those. Anymore?
    marygrace
    my photos go here

D200
    D70
    18-70/3.5
    85/1.8
    50/1.8
    lens baby 2.0
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2004
    If nothing else works, I put the camera in machine gun mode, try to hold steady, and fire a burst. Usually one in the bunch is steady enough to use.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au