small with RAW?

lashlash Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
edited August 14, 2006 in Cameras
Does anyone have advice about the possibility of finding a good small camera (one that would fit in the side pocket of a sports coat) that shoots in the RAW format?

I have a fine DSLR (Nikon D200), but I am often in a situation where carrying it is a hassle. So a nice pocket size camera as a backup / auxiliary / handy carry-everywhere would be nice. And I would like it to handle the RAW format, since I like doing post-processing.

I suppose that wanting a pocket sized camera as a handy sidekick is rational, while also wanting it to handle RAW is irrational. But I hope that others will indulge me and pardon my quirks. I would appreciate any (charitable?) advice.

Thanks,

Comments

• Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2006
    The Panasonic Lumix LX2 knows RAW, it features 8MP,
    and a nice Leica 28-112mm (35mm equiv) lens too.
    I dont know if other versions of the Lumix know RAW.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0607/06071904panasoniclx2.asp
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
  • ed_hed_h Registered Users Posts: 191 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2006
    lash wrote:
    Does anyone have advice about the possibility of finding a good small camera (one that would fit in the side pocket of a sports coat) that shoots in the RAW format?

Thanks,

I did a features search on dpreview.com and came up these, hope this helps
    Ed
    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/compare_post.asp
    A dog is for life, not just Christmas
    http://www.dogshome.org.au/
  • Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2006
    ed_h wrote:
    I did a features search on dpreview.com and came up these, hope this helps
    Ed
    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/compare_post.asp

Link doesn't seem to work m8.
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
  • ed_hed_h Registered Users Posts: 191 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2006
    Manfr3d wrote:
    Link doesn't seem to work m8.

Worked for me again, anyway i think Lash would have gotten the idea
    Ed
    A dog is for life, not just Christmas
    http://www.dogshome.org.au/
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2006
    If you can find a Konica Minolta A2 or A200....8MP and does raw real well, comes with a 28 - 200 fantastic lens..also features a completely movable focus point....not locked down to a certain quadrant... but you can place it where ever you want.....can't wait for a DSLR to have that feature....with that you have no need for manual focus.......and the meter can follow the focus point also if you want spot metering of your actual subject......
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited August 13, 2006
    if you can't find what you want with "RAW" capabilities remember you can use something like the Minolta dIMAGE series which offer TIFF files.
  • colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2006
    The Canon PowerShot Sxx series does Raw, or at least the S60 and S70 models do. The S80 does not. They are brick-shaped, so there is some debate as to whether they are pocket-sized, although I have carried the S60 in my casual outerwear and pants pockets without much trouble. Might be bulky in a sports coat. The specs of this line are getting dated and I read a rumor that the Sxx line is being discontinued.

Another good feature of the Sxx series is full manual control over both shutter speed and aperture.

However, I can vouch for Raw being desirable in a point-and-shoot to get the absolute most out of the camera's limits. I do not like the JPEGs from the S60. I really wish there were more point-and-shoots that did Raw.
  • marlofmarlof Registered Users Posts: 1,833 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2006
    Depending on what you want in a camera, next to RAW, you could also consider the Ricoh GR Digital. A 28mm fixed lens, f2.4, and you'll be able to fix a viewfinder to the hotshoe to make it a sort of digital rangefinder. The QC doesn't seem all that good though, and you'll have to look where to get it in the USA (I believe Adorama does sell it though).

The only small Panasonic Lumixes that do RAW is the current LX1 (8mp) and the upcoming LX2 (10mp). The first might be a bit noisy in JPEG, but the second will have a Venus III engine to deal with noise in JPEGs. If that's an advantage, I don't know, since I prefer noise over smeared images. I haven't seen a RAW file of the LX2 yet, so I can't comment on the quality of those. The LX1 is also available in a Leica coat as the D-Lux 2, so it is probably not wrong to assume the LX2 will be available after some time as a D-Lux 3 or something like that.

Also Olympus has some smaller cameras (but definitely not tiny) that do RAW, like the SP350. And then there's the Fuji E900.

All cameras mentioned probably have their strong and weak points. So do a little research, and compare them on the points that matter most to you.
    enjoy being here while getting there
  • gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2006
    The Olympus C-5050 is a fantastic little camera that shoots RAW. I still carry mine around with me often when it is too much hassle for the DSLR. Takes 3 diff memory cards. It fits into a coat pocket just fine. Its maybe 2 years old now but i still love it.

Here are a few on eBay..a bargain for what that camera can do !!
  • meewolfiemeewolfie Registered Users Posts: 97 Big grins
    edited August 14, 2006
    I will second Gus' recommendation of the c-5050. I've had mine for about three years and have been very happy with the pictures. It's not a "slimline" style camera, but it is considerably smaller that something like a Canon 30D. I have a polarizing filter on mine with an extension/adapter so that adds to the overall size.

It does a nice job with macro shots when you use the "super macro mode" and has reasonable low light performance (I was using to take pictures of shelter animals inside and could usually get at least one decent shot).

Some pictures from the c-5050:

20060630224815_coloredpencilmacro.jpg

20060617151456_pfm0606lettuce.jpg

20060603125745_ellieonbedthoughtful.jpg

Mary
    Brecksville, Ohio
  • lashlash Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited August 14, 2006
    thanks
    Thanks to all for the helpful replies. :): I will do my research now, and see what fits my psyche.
  • lashlash Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited August 14, 2006
    ed_h wrote:
    Worked for me again, anyway i think Lash would have gotten the idea
    Ed

Yes; I got the idea. And I tried various criteria in the features search, so that gives me some ideas.

But I also want to know about DGrinners personal experiences with this type of camera, so I am also grateful for those who posted comments about their own experiences. :):