Redirect-forwarding old URL to Smugmug

redcrownredcrown Registered Users Posts: 60 Big grins
edited August 14, 2006 in SmugMug Support
Thanks to all for helping getting my site up. A lot more work than I expected, but worth it. Now a new photo shoot can be uploaded, galleried, categorized, and customized very easily. So much better than my old workflow to update a personal, "built by hand" web site.

For other rookies... my last step was redirecting or forwarding links to my old web site URL to my new Smugmug site. Everything I read here said that it could not (or should not) be done without getting a Pro account and messing with CNAME and other stuff. This page is particularly discouraging: http://blogs.smugmug.com/pros/2005/12/01/dont-get-framed-or-forwarded/

Well, that's not compleely true. I moved my DNS registration to godaddy, "parked" my domain there, and simply put my smugmug site name in the "forwarding" entry. No Pro account, no CNAME entry, no "A" record. It took about 20 hours for the parking to propogate.

It looks to me like everything works when I link to my old URL. My Smugmug site shows up. All features that may be cookie driven work, including the shopping cart. The only issue is that the new smugmug URL appears in the browser window instead of the old private URL. Apparently some people think that's a big issue. I guess for some pros it is a very big issue. But I suspect there are many non-pros like me who simply don't care. I just want people who use old bookarks, old calling cards, old letterhead, to land at the right place. My site is "branded" enough when they get there, so the URL is fairly insignificant.

Would appreciate any opinions to the contrary.

Old URL: www.arkacy.com

Smugmug: www.kellyphoto.smugmug.com