Millville 2006

JeffroJeffro Registered Users Posts: 1,941 Major grins
edited August 15, 2006 in Sports
I spent yesterday in Minnesota, at the AMA Pro National Motocross Race...:D I've gone the last 3 years now, and this looked to be my last chance to see James "Bubba" Stewart and Ricky "RC" Carmichael race each other....and my first due to a Bubba injury last year, and RC calling it quits after this year. The limited schedule thing, otherwise known as MX'er retirement.

Here is a shot of James in the morning warm-ups.

88232041-L.jpg

This is Ricky taking a rythm section with out a problem.

88232121-L.jpg

I told my daughter that Ricky was checking her out on this one...he was looking right at her :rofl These guys change clothes more than a supermodel at a fashion show.

88232244-L.jpg

And James would be in need of a change of clothes after this moto....

88232354-L.jpg

Did I mention it rained?:dunno Well it did...alot! It was the biggest muddiest mess I have ever seen. The first set of moto's were dry, but about 5 laps into the second MX Lites (I hate that name) the rains came! I had to put the camera away for awhile...darn it!:wxwax I pulled it out later, but it was hard to shoot one handed....I had to hold the umbrella with the other!
Always lurking, sometimes participating. :D

Comments

• TassieDTassieD Registered Users Posts: 711 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2006
    Nicely done Jeffro,

love the colours as well as the action.
    Cheers
    David Clifford
  • xtnomadxtnomad Registered Users Posts: 340 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2006
    Great job jeffro. Most pepole know the term rain out, but MX has rain ons.thumb.gif
    xtnomad :wink
  • JeffroJeffro Registered Users Posts: 1,941 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2006
    Thanks guys...

Here's one of Heath Voss that I liked. This one is cropped a bit.

88251446-L.jpg
  • F45F45 Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2006
    Jeff,

Looks like another successful shoot! :):

Good angle on this one. The background allows the subject to stand-out well, while the bottom right of the image confirms the scale and general relevance to the location/event.

88232041-L.jpg

I really like the composition here and think your choice for a vertical was right on.
    88232121-L.jpg

This image doesn't work for me. Just a personal preference of course but the angle of the bike and rider's head make him look like he is about to kick-start the bike. Plus the tree trunk going up the center gives the illusion that he is stuck up in a tree!

88232244-L.jpg

I like the way you caught this guy completely above the "Unbound" banner which prevents intersecting lines from cutting into the subject. The red and white banner directly behind him is not legible so there is really nothing distracting about the point of intersection with the subject. The faint background here works very well but the contrast (in all the images actually) seems a little weak. That may be a result of the monitor that I'm using here at work but in any case...good work!!

88232354-L.jpg
    Cheers,

Chris Sedg. :cool
    www.christophersedgwick.com

• gsgarygsgary Registered Users Posts: 1,350 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2006
    Very nice Jeffro ,plenty of mud:D
    edited August 15, 2006
    F45 wrote:
    Jeff,
    Looks like another successful shoot! :):

Thanks for all the comments...good and bad...:D The tree trunk going through RC is not ideal, but I liked that he was looking at my daughter.

You made a comment about the contrast being a bit weak....well it was, it was cloudy for all but a few minutes of the day. It rained for over half of it. The picture of Bubba with the faint background was actually taken while it was raining. I didn't take as many shots as I have in years past, and I didn't move around, because I couldn't carry my stuff and stay dry all at the same time.

It got so dark out that I had to use ISO 800 and 1600 near the end, which I would prefer not to do.

Thanks again for looking, and commenting!
    edited August 15, 2006
    gsgary wrote:
    Very nice Jeffro ,plenty of mud:D

Yes there was...

Here's RC negotiating a very rutted and muddy hairpin.

88362872-L.jpg

The mud caused many a traffic jam.....that's Bubba in the front of this one.

88362963-L.jpg

Everybody, except the winner, crashed. And for probably the first time ever, the winner actually lapped the entire field. Have you figured out who won yet?ne_nau.gif