Converting to RAW to DNG

asamuelasamuel Registered Users Posts: 451 Major grins
edited August 15, 2006 in Finishing School
I've searched this topic but haven't found the answer. I hope I haven't missed it.

In which application do you convert a file to DNG? How do you do it?

I want my files to be a) smaller than Raw (which will be DVD) b) more flexible in future software developments (which is debateable I know).

I have the plug in from adobe that allows me to view my canon Raw CR2 files in Bridge and Photoshop but my files are still CR2, not DNG. So I am at a loss, apart from a few thread clues I have read on D.Grin: I haven't heard owt about them.

Simple question...but currently clueless. thanks
where's the cheese at?

http://www.samuelbedford.com

Comments

• AntoineDAntoineD Registered Users Posts: 393 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2006
    If you have the raw plugin from Adobe, there is some chance you have the converter, too.

If you don't, take a look at this page. The DNG converter is free :)

Though, I don't think the DNG file will be much smaller. Well: I don't know. :)
    have a quick look at my portfolio (there's a photolog, too) :: (11-07-2006) experiencing a new flash portfolio. What do you think?
  • StustaffStustaff Registered Users Posts: 680 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2006
    DNG can be larger than your CR2 RAW files depending on the quality of JPEG preview you attatch when using DNG converter.

Im really not concerned about longevity just yet... CR2 is a file type supported by Cannon and readable by all Adobe products and if that changes in the future i will convert them to DNG as I need them.
    Trapped in my bedroom taking pictures...did i say bedroom? i meant studio!

My www. place is www.belperphoto.co.uk
    My smugmug galleries at http://stuarthill.smugmug.com
  • AnthonyAnthony Registered Users Posts: 149 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2006
    Stustaff wrote:
    DNG can be larger than your CR2 RAW files depending on the quality of JPEG preview you attatch when using DNG converter.

Im really not concerned about longevity just yet... CR2 is a file type supported by Cannon and readable by all Adobe products and if that changes in the future i will convert them to DNG as I need them.

DNG does mean all the info is stored in one 'packet'; original image, jpg and sidecar info.

Anthony.