Options

Feedback on my site?

kkartkkart Registered Users Posts: 137 Major grins
edited August 16, 2006 in Mind Your Own Business
Well, it has taken awhile BUT I FINALLY have my own site...whew! Almost 100% done, a few more photos to add and my own .com later this week. Anyways, I would love some reviews and feedback on it...I worked hard on it! http://jdebordphoto.da.ru
Thanks all!
"Capturing Colorado, one click at a time"
website | photoblog | facebook | twitter | deviantArt | RedBubble

Comments

• Options
    johngjohng Registered Users Posts: 1,658 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2006
    John,

I can see you've put some time into this - so congratulations I think it's a very good start.

There are a few things I noticed that could be improved I think:

1. What exactly is the home page - if I use johdeb.freehostia.com I get an index page which is not a good idea. If I use the link I get one page but no way to get back to it, as the button takes you back to the gallery home page. So I'm unclear which is the real home page.

2. If the link is the real home page I would suggest moving the QA to a FAQ page and leave it off the home page. questions and answers just don't look good on a home page IMO.

3. If you're going to display file names, they should be meaningful to your target audience. One image I looked at had the name - 34-RMNPmissed -02-14-2006 (Elk). Now I'm sure it has meaning to you but as a visitor to your site that was meaningless to me. My suggestion is either don't display file names or if you do make sure they're all meaningful and use spaces rather than underscores.

4. I'm not a fan of displaying the file info stuff with each photo - it's irrelevent to most people and distracting. Make it available if people want to see it but most buyers or browsers aren't interested in EXIF info. Photogs may be in which case it might be nice to have an option to display the EXIF data but defaulting to displaying technical information in that format is not suited for the target audience

Those were the big things that jumped out at me that detract from the site but it's just one person's opinion
  • Options
    meewolfiemeewolfie Registered Users Posts: 97 Big grins
    edited August 16, 2006
    A few things...

1. Add some photos to the "front" pages of your site (price page, etc.). Since you are a photographer and you are selling photos, it will help keep people interested even when they are looking at a page that is simply presenting data like prices.

2. If you are going to use blog software to build your site you may want to look into doing some page customization so that it doesn't look so much like a blog. For example, remove the date and the category from the header.

(for example, we use MT to track the animals that come through the shelter where I take pictures. This page is generated with blog software - taking advantage of the database capabilities, but with some customization so that all of the "entry" details aren't included for each animal.)

3. I agree with the previous comment that once the user is sent over to the coppermine gallery, there is no obvious way to navigate back to the initial page.

4. Would you be able to customize the gallery to look more like the wordpress page? Or vice versa? Right now, they really do look like two different sites.

5. The list of photo categories down the side would be more readable if there was a little bit of space between each one.

Mary
    Brecksville, Ohio
  • Options
    osageladyosagelady Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited August 16, 2006
    Wow, I should really keep up on your sites. The .com is a great attribute to your web site, glad you got it.