Photonames as keywords

jwashburnjwashburn Registered Users Posts: 476 Major grins
edited March 22, 2007 in SmugMug Support
Is there a setting to turn off the photnames as keywords?

Comments

• ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2006
    jwashburn wrote:
    Is there a setting to turn off the photnames as keywords?
    Hi Joey,

Are you referring to the names of the images that turn into keywords on upload? At this point there is no way of turning that of. Wish i had a better answer for you.

There is more information about it here though if you are interested: http://www.smugmug.com/help/keywords-tags
  • jwashburnjwashburn Registered Users Posts: 476 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2006
    Thats exactly what I meant. Bummer. I giess its not that big of a deal
  • DnaDna Registered Users Posts: 435 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2006
    You can use Edit Captions/Keywords(Bulk) to bulk remove all captions and keywords and this includes the filename, but as ivar said there is no switch to turn it off on upload.

Dna
  • ervwalterervwalter Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins
    edited September 11, 2006
    ivar wrote:
    Hi Joey,

Are you referring to the names of the images that turn into keywords on upload? At this point there is no way of turning that of. Wish i had a better answer for you.

There is more information about it here though if you are interested: http://www.smugmug.com/help/keywords-tags

Man, I also wish there was a way to turn that off. Or at least don't bother adding keywords that are just going to get ignored anyway. Many/Most of my image filenames look like 20060910-142522-0342.jpg (i.e. YYYYMMDD-HHMMSS-####.jpg). What I end up with is the keywords on smugmug littered with numbers that are a mess and painful to clean up. In many cases, I have taken the time to assign keywords in photoshop prior to uploading, so I don't want to just bulk clear the keywords to get rid of the numbers.

I suppose it is mostly benign, but it just kind of drives me a little nutty when I bulk edit keywords and see all that noise.

I'm not sure why the system bothers adding numbers to the keywords that it's going to ignore anyway. Why not only add keywords from the filename that the system knows will be meaningful? In the example from the help page, if the filename is IMG_0002.jpg, add nothing. if the filename is Auckland_9107.jpg, just add Auckland.
  • pat.kanepat.kane Registered Users Posts: 332 Major grins
    edited September 13, 2006
    ervwalter,

Welcome to dGrin!

I use a similar filenaming convention -- YYYYMMDD-HHMMSS.ext

From my recent experience (it wasn't always this way), the file name gets added to the keywords list, but it is effectively ignored as a keyword.

I don't really want smugmug deciding what numbers are good and what aren't. My sports pictures get uploaded with jersey numbers as a keyword, e.g., "#10 John Doe". I don't want smugmug stripping that data out of the keyword list. It's a more difficult problem to solve than it first appears.
  • ervwalterervwalter Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins
    edited September 13, 2006
    pat.kane wrote:
    ervwalter,
    I don't really want smugmug deciding what numbers are good and what aren't. My sports pictures get uploaded with jersey numbers as a keyword, e.g., "#10 John Doe". I don't want smugmug stripping that data out of the keyword list. It's a more difficult problem to solve than it first appears.

Great point. I guess I was envisioning an algorithm where actual keywords in the photo were always taken. I was thinking that the "don't include things you're going to ignore" would only be used when concidering what to extract from the filename.
  • doublemeatdoublemeat Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
    edited March 22, 2007
    This has been driving me absolutely ape...batty
    As an ex-pbase user (well current just idle), and one who signed up for a pro smugmug account a year ago, I'm FINALLY getting around to uploading some pictures and making use of it.

I've stumbled onto a small but "gotcha" that, quite honestly, might make smugmug a non-starter for me. I have spent countless hours carefully cataloging my photos via keywords. (I use a combination of ExifUtils and custom .cmd files, and one of the best tools around for IPTC tag management, Adobe Bridge.)

It's what everyone is griping about in this thread. Smugmug inserting filename elements into the keywords. What kind of special thought process led to this? I just can't justify the hours of time painstakingly cleaning it up. I just can't fathom how anyone thought that would be a good feature! Even more inane since smugmug ignore number tags.

Which leads me to another gripe--my daughter's name has a number in it, and she is invisible to the tagging system--unless I painfully go into each gallery [why no bulk edits on search results?] and put quotes around her name. Even then, it's not guaranteed to show up. Sometimes I have to add commas in between every tag. In short, tagging is seriously broken, and is a seriously visible feature...resulting in a seriously visibly broken feature!

Flickr is not (currently) a serious solution for pro photographers or those interested in customizing their site, but they do have tagging figured out.