True vs Auto color

cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
edited August 15, 2006 in SmugMug Support
I couldn't find this in the search, so sorry if this has been answered elsewhere:

I want to understand when to use auto vs true color in ordering prints.
My account is a standard account, so it defaults to auto color. However, for nearly all my photos, I color correct on a calibrated monitor and use the EZPrints ICC profile.

Now, i have not yet ordered the EZPriints calibration photo yet, but my monitor is calibrated via the visual method, like that described in Norman Koren's website, and using the tools included in Photoshop.

So, should I choose True, assuming I have successfully gotten 'true' color, or should I choose 'auto"? Will auto really change things or will it make only minor corrections? Any experience here?

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2006
    cmason wrote:
    I couldn't find this in the search, so sorry if this has been answered elsewhere:

I want to understand when to use auto vs true color in ordering prints.
    My account is a standard account, so it defaults to auto color. However, for nearly all my photos, I color correct on a calibrated monitor and use the EZPrints ICC profile.

Now, i have not yet ordered the EZPriints calibration photo yet, but my monitor is calibrated via the visual method, like that described in Norman Koren's website, and using the tools included in Photoshop.

So, should I choose True, assuming I have successfully gotten 'true' color, or should I choose 'auto"? Will auto really change things or will it make only minor corrections? Any experience here?

Explained here, really well:
    http://www.smugmug.com/help/too-red

If you'd like me to have a look at a gallery, I'll give you my professional opinion on how they'll print in True Color.

Cheers!
  • cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2006
    Andy wrote:

If you'd like me to have a look at a gallery, I'll give you my professional opinion on how they'll print in True Color.

Cheers!

Great, thanks Andy!!

Here are some, generally, I am interested in the landscape shot (first one) and the portraits that follow

http://digitalmason.smugmug.com/share/NhSqFRXYWBQGo
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2006
    cmason wrote:
    Great, thanks Andy!!

Here are some, generally, I am interested in the landscape shot (first one) and the portraits that follow

http://digitalmason.smugmug.com/share/NhSqFRXYWBQGo
    The landscape will print brilliantly in True Color. I recommend LUSTRE finish deal.gif

Portrait 1 is good - well exposed. #s 2, 3, 4 could use a bit of exposure boost, which Auto Color will give w/out affecting the color much at all. I think they are about 1/3 stop underexposed. Same for the first three group shots (before the BW). #s 11 and 12 are well exposed. #13 could use AUTO or a boost and reupload.

Nice work!

I hope this helps :)
  • cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2006
    Thanks Andy, good advice...in fact I may just order some of the groups shots in both color modes, just to compare...harse sunlight makes a mess of things, and kids dont wake early enough and are not patient enough to wait for 'good light", so I take what i can get at times.