Options

Yellowstone in mid to late September

craftcraft Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
Hi DGrinners,

I'm hoping to drive from Vancouver to Yellowstone NP around September 8 and return September 22. My big kick is always shooting wildlife (I'll wait around for hours and hours for an animal to appear ahead of doing scenery).

I was wondering if anyone can offer some advice about which entrance I should camp at for the best areas to see wildlife at this time of year. I understand there are several border cities and campgrounds and each are pretty far from each other so I want to stay stationed where I have the best chances to see elk, bison and grizzlies.

Do you know if I'll catch the elk rut at this time of year?

Also, do you think it will be too chilly to camp in a tent?

I really appreciate any advice since I've never visited Yellowstone.

Also... another side question... if I went back to Yellowstone in November (after the official park roads close), is there still a way to tour the park? I've seen lots of winter pictures of Yellowstone, but thought the park roads were closed to tourists at that time of year.

Thanks in advance again!
Christina
craft.smugmug.com
http://craft.smugmug.com
Thousands of Nature & Wildlife Images Online

Comments

• Options
    GtogsGtogs Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited August 17, 2006
    I was there last year around that same time. At that time we saw Elk both in the evening and early morning along side the road heading out of the park to the city of West Yellowstone. Parked cars along the road will let you know if something of interest is there.

The temperatures ranged from a high of 70 F to a low of 28F. We did have snow one day early in our stay, but it only lasted for a short while.

We did see a number of birds and animals in addition to the elk such as Sandhill Cranes, geese, ducks, buffalo & mountain goats.

The park was quite busy at that time as people without school children thought it would be a good time to visit.

The park is also shutting down facilities throughout the month so not all of the stores and shops may be open.

I believe there are guide services that will take you into the park after it closes.
  • Options
    craftcraft Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited August 17, 2006
    Thanks so much. This info is a great help!

Cheers!
    Christina
    Gtogs wrote:
    I was there last year around that same time. At that time we saw Elk both in the evening and early morning along side the road heading out of the park to the city of West Yellowstone. Parked cars along the road will let you know if something of interest is there.

The temperatures ranged from a high of 70 F to a low of 28F. We did have snow one day early in our stay, but it only lasted for a short while.

We did see a number of birds and animals in addition to the elk such as Sandhill Cranes, geese, ducks, buffalo & mountain goats.

The park was quite busy at that time as people without school children thought it would be a good time to visit.

The park is also shutting down facilities throughout the month so not all of the stores and shops may be open.

I believe there are guide services that will take you into the park after it closes.
    http://craft.smugmug.com
    Thousands of Nature & Wildlife Images Online
  • Options
    Shane422Shane422 Registered Users Posts: 460 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2006
    Many of the park roads are open to Snow Mobiles in the winter.

As for wildlife, the Lamar valley is in the northeast section. It is famous for having quite a bit of wildlife.
  • Options
    konicatkonicat Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited August 25, 2006
    yellowstone animals
    Make sure you go to Mammoth Hot springs. The elk are all over the town lounging in front of the Post Office and wandering the village green. They also like the hills above the cabins.

I was there in late Sept 2 years ago and can't wait to go back. Not too much color then, but color is dependant on the weather!!

have fun