Captions and Privacy / Search Engines

shiffyshiffy Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
edited August 17, 2006 in SmugMug Support
Does anyone know whether using captions for photos on a password-protected site will allow the site to be picked up by search engines or to become searchable through smugmug? (My goal is to avoid having it indexed or searchable.) I know that in the past, using keywords opened up a backdoor allowing password-protected sites to be indexed by search engines. I believe this has been fixed, but wanted to make sure that there I would not be doing anything to jeopardize the privacy of the photos on my site if I started to use captions.

Thanks.

Steve

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2006
    shiffy wrote:
    Does anyone know whether using captions for photos on a password-protected site will allow the site to be picked up by search engines or to become searchable through smugmug? (My goal is to avoid having it indexed or searchable.) I know that in the past, using keywords opened up a backdoor allowing password-protected sites to be indexed by search engines. I believe this has been fixed, but wanted to make sure that there I would not be doing anything to jeopardize the privacy of the photos on my site if I started to use captions.

Thanks.

Steve
    HI Steve,
    Captions in public galleries are googleable, for sure.
  • papajaypapajay Registered Users Posts: 441 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2006
    Is that the result of policy? or technology?
    Andy wrote:
    HI Steve,
    Captions in public galleries are googleable, for sure.

Andy:
    They are (googleable), but do-they/did-they have to be from the get-go? Was that a design criteria Smugmug designers had to decide upon in the beginning? In other words, was there ever a software design decision to be made about it (googleable- or not-googleable captions)??... or is it just the nature of internet technology itself that makes captions googleable whether you want them to be or not?

Personally, I wish captions were not googleable. I'm sure others want them googleable, which begs the question...Will it ever be possible to have the choice, as a smugmug gallery owner, between captions-googleable or not-googleable?
    edited August 15, 2006
    papajay wrote:
    Andy:
    They are (googleable), but do-they/did-they have to be from the get-go? Was that a design criteria Smugmug designers had to decide upon in the beginning? In other words, was there ever a software design decision to be made about it (googleable- or not-googleable captions)??... or is it just the nature of internet technology itself that makes captions googleable whether you want them to be or not?

Personally, I wish captions were not googleable. I'm sure others want them googleable, which begs the question...Will it ever be possible to have the choice, as a smugmug gallery owner, between captions-googleable or not-googleable?
    Thanks for posting, papajay. For now, Captions, titles, keywords in public galleries are indexed by google. If we come up with a way to offer a choice, we'll sure let you know - and we know it's important to you.
    edited August 15, 2006
    Andy..Do you ever sleep?
    Andy wrote:
    Thanks for posting, papajay. For now, Captions, titles, keywords in public galleries are indexed by google. If we come up with a way to offer a choice, we'll sure let you know - and we know it's important to you.

It's fine, Andy...really! Just because I want it doesn't make it do-able. I'd still be interested to know if it was something where software designers for sites like Smugmug even had a choice to begin with...or does google's search/indexing technology trump any/all attempts to thwart it? A "technical description" would be over my head...I see it as a "yes" or "no" question, that's all.
  • DnaDna Registered Users Posts: 435 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2006
    papajay wrote:
    It's fine, Andy...really! Just because I want it doesn't make it do-able. I'd still be interested to know if it was something where software designers for sites like Smugmug even had a choice to begin with...or does google's search/indexing technology trump any/all attempts to thwart it? A "technical description" would be over my head...I see it as a "yes" or "no" question, that's all.
    This can't be implemented on Smugmug by users but yes there is a way to stop Google (and other search engines).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robots.txt

mwink.gif

Dna
  • shiffyshiffy Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited August 16, 2006
    Andy wrote:

Andy,

Thanks for the response. Are you sure that that is correct if the whole site is password-protected? I know using password protection means giving up on keywords, and possibly captions (although I thought it wouldn't), but I thought that using site-wide password protection would at least stop google from indexing things like titles (which I thought were akin to gallery names). Smugmug's help page on using passwords for an account provides at the end of the FAQ:

Q: Does this foil Google?
    A: Yes. Your name, bio, gallery names, etc., should not appear in Google's search unless you place them on non-SmugMug pages.

Could you confirm if this is accurate and, if the use of any features - captions, titles, etc. makes a password-protected account's public galleries searchable, could you let us know specifically which ones have this effect?

As always, thanks for your assistance. It is much appreciated.

Steve
    edited August 16, 2006
    shiffy wrote:
    Andy,

Thanks for the response. Are you sure that that is correct if the whole site is password-protected? I know using password protection means giving up on keywords, and possibly captions (although I thought it wouldn't), but I thought that using site-wide password protection would at least stop google from indexing things like titles (which I thought were akin to gallery names). Smugmug's help page on using passwords for an account provides at the end of the FAQ:

Q: Does this foil Google?
    A: Yes. Your name, bio, gallery names, etc., should not appear in Google's search unless you place them on non-SmugMug pages.

Could you confirm if this is accurate and, if the use of any features - captions, titles, etc. makes a password-protected account's public galleries searchable, could you let us know specifically which ones have this effect?

As always, thanks for your assistance. It is much appreciated.

Steve

Hi Steve, sure - my answer was for publick galleries - having a site password will stop the google crawl for those captions.
  • shiffyshiffy Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited August 16, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Hi Steve, sure - my answer was for publick galleries - having a site password will stop the google crawl for those captions.

Cool. Thanks Andy. That makes me feel better.

(I guess the confusion was that even with a site password, there are public and private galleries. )
    edited August 17, 2006
    Thwarting Google
    Dna wrote:
    This can't be implemented on Smugmug by users but yes there is a way to stop Google (and other search engines).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robots.txt

mwink.gif

Dna

Thanks for the reference, Dna. I knew the technical aspects would be over my head, but I followed the link you provided anyway and poked around a bit to get a sense of what it all meant.

Two sentences caught my attention right away..."Many web site administrators have been caught trying to use the robots file to make private parts of a website invisible to the rest of the world. However, the file is necessarily publicly available and is easily checked by anyone with a web browser.", which I took to mean my "quest" is next to impossible with the current construct.

I've made a point in the past of saying I did not want to require my family/friends to use a password to see my galleries..."Fine, public galleries are the way to go."

But then I put a restriction on it. I did not want my galleries searchable by google...."Fine, private galleries are the way to go (as long as your galleries don't contain keywords)."

There's the rub, of course, since I "have to have" keyword functionality.

I don't believe I've clearly articulated something that might make a difference in terms of satisfying my "need" as a smugmug user. I want keyword functionality for myself (within my own site), not for visitors to my site.

I do not consider actually "logging-in" to my own site an inconvenience, so if access to keywords and the ability to search on them could somehow be protected behind the "log-in" screen, I'd be very happy.

I fully understand that others (many, but not all, pro's for example) want/need keyword functionality available to all visitors to their site (afterall, they are trying to make a living selling their photos, so keyword functionality make good sense).

Obviously, a single "solution" approach would not work without providing a gallery owner the ability to "select" which keyword handling protocol fits his/her need.

Giving gallery owners the option (if it can be done) to:

a.)put keyword functionality behind the user "log-in" screen or
    b.) leave it accessible 24x7 to site visitors (and google)

...would be a good thing, IMHO.

Done Rambling (for now, at least).

Thanks, PapaJay