SmugMug server review

onethumbonethumb Administrators Posts: 1,269 Major grins
edited August 17, 2006 in SmugMug Support
I've been getting more requests for technical information about SmugMug. So I just wrote up a huge technical benchmark, and you can read it on my blog.

If you've got a digg account, I'd love a digg. And if not - go get one! :)

Don

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2006
    thumb.gif
  • demdem Registered Users Posts: 35 Big grins
    edited August 17, 2006
    Too bad I'm on the wrong coast as I'd love to drop by and help out with Solaris. Looks like you've gotten several offers of help, but feel free to drop me a line if you have other Solaris questions.

Here's a link to a list of freeware available directly from Sun. I don't think the contents of the Companion disk are installed at the factory, though, so it probably wasn't on your box.

http://www.sun.com/software/solaris/freeware
    Dave
  • demdem Registered Users Posts: 35 Big grins
    edited August 17, 2006
    A few more thoughts, as long as I'm "outing" myself as a Sun guy. :):

A Sun Fire T1000 with 6 cores and 2 GB RAM starts at $2,995, so if you can get the performance up there still might be a configuration available that makes economic sense.

180 W is the expected typical power consumption for a T1000.

I think it was lost on many readers that you're using the Opteron HE in the other system. The HE isn't a "normal" Opteron and isn't what most people would compare with (they're saving you about 54 W).

In addition to (hopefully) improving performance, using Solaris gives you better fault resiliency on that platform. For example, Solaris will offline a failing CPU core and stop using memory pages that are getting ECC errors.

But you'll hate the package management, which was designed long before tools like APT or RPM came into existence.
    Dave
  • claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2006
    Just an OT comment: I LOVE Dave's avatar. Gromit is da bomb! :D