Applications such as image ingster for PC

asamuelasamuel Registered Users Posts: 451 Major grins
edited August 18, 2006 in Finishing School
I just wrote a post about Data Assett Management and renaming files.

Turns out that many people responding use a "Downloader"

Image ingster for mac and others for Pc

thanks Claudermilk "Directory creation & file renaming are all done automatically by Downloader Pro. I have most of my editing automation set to add the versioning suffix automatically as much as possible."

Is this an initial step in my ever increasing workflow?

Downloader > Bridge > IVMP3 > RAW Converter > CS2

How beneficial are they?

Which are the best?

where's the cheese at?

http://www.samuelbedford.com

Comments

• claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2006
    Well, as I mentioned in the other thread, I use the Beezesys Downloader Pro. It is registered to recognize a card insertion on all the drive letters possible (new PC has 4!) and automatically loads up. I give it a "Job Code" and away it goes, creating the directory structure, downloading & renaming files, and finally loads up IMatch for me ready for the next step.

I know there's a few other options out there that perform similar jobs, I just haven't gone looking as I'm totally satisfied with DL Pro.

In answer to your other question: yes, it's absolutely beneficial.
  • pat.kanepat.kane Registered Users Posts: 332 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2006
    I'm another satisfied Downloader Pro user. See my post in this thread for the reasons why.
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=40384
  • jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2006
    Downloader Pro - yes
    asamuel wrote:
    I just wrote a post about Data Assett Management and renaming files.

Another satisified user of Downloader Pro. It does everything I want (and much more that I haven't taken advantage of yet) and is the first step in my workflow.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • asamuelasamuel Registered Users Posts: 451 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2006
    So ive downloaded it.
    I'm going to buy it (just got to scrape the rust of my credit card)

However...........turns out my camera has been set to auto reset file names when a new memory card is put in. this seems to throw a spanner in the works.

I have set to continous from now, but the programme does nothing to help me order previous folders and files . OR DOES IT?

Anybody come across this and had it figured?

It seems that the troubleshooting indicates how to stop it happening again, not how to resolve your current problems.ne_nau.gif

ALSO having a problem locating the procedure for making an instant backup copy to DVD at the same time as sending pics to the HD. can anybody explain that?
    where's the cheese at?

http://www.samuelbedford.com
  • claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2006
    It all depends on how you want to rename the files. If you get a good naming strategy, it shouldn't matter; for me this would make no difference.

I have DL Pro set to grab the EXIF timestamp and camera model name to set the following name format: YYYYMMDD-HHMMSS-camera-seq. So for example a shot taken on my 20D at 8:15:25AM today with the filename IMG1234.CR2 would end up 20060818-081525-20D-1234.CR2. The original sequence is just there for reference & a tie-breaker if two images have identical timestamps (yes, it's happened).
  • AnthonyAnthony Registered Users Posts: 149 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2006
    asamuel wrote:

[..]

However...........turns out my camera has been set to auto reset file names when a new memory card is put in. this seems to throw a spanner in the works.

[..]
    I have a 5D and a 10D and one of the menu items on both these models has 'File Numbering' which can be set to either Continuous or Auto Reset. It's in the yellow menu section on the 10D (which I am looking at now).

Does that help?

Anthony.