Options

Prospect foiled in purchase

ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
edited August 18, 2006 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
I got this email from a potential customer:
I tried to order two photos of yours.I got as far as the password with the shopping cart but
then failed completely because of the password problem.

I tried to ask for some more info and got this:
Janet needs the username and password for the www.chezrutt.com/~rutt website.

Does this ring any bells for anyone? Suggestions about what to tell her? Can this process be made easier?
If not now, when?

Comments

• Options
    dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2006
    yeah--
    I ordered prints of a couple of my own photos yesterday-- the password feature appears relatively new (or at least since I placed my last order). I tried to order without a password and it wouldn't let me, but the warning was fairly clear. I don't quite get the whole password thing and think it would be nice to have an option to order without it-- I literally have so many passwords these days I have to write them all down on three sheets of paper and keep them in a desk drawer by the computer (at home AND at work) which really defeats the purpose of a password in the first place, eh?

I'd much rather see a feature that says, "contact the photographer for updates on your order" than a password. That "contact the photog" is already part of the order process, but customers still have to enter a password.

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2006
    rutt wrote:
    I got this email from a potential customer:

Does this ring any bells for anyone? Suggestions about what to tell her? Can this process be made easier?
    Uh John, this isn't SmugMug:
  • Options
    edited August 16, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Uh John, this isn't SmugMug:

Thanks, Andy, but how did you get there?
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2006
    rutt wrote:
    Thanks, Andy, but how did you get there?

From the link you posted above in this thread naughty.gif

rutt wrote:

Janet needs the username and password for the www.chezrutt.com/~rutt website
  • Options
    edited August 17, 2006
    Thanks, Andy. Should have paid better attention to what this customer was saying. I couldn't imagine how this was actually happening to her.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    AnneMcBeanAnneMcBean Registered Users Posts: 503 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2006
    Is this what you're referring to?
    dogwood wrote:
    I ordered prints of a couple of my own photos yesterday-- the password feature appears relatively new (or at least since I placed my last order). I tried to order without a password and it wouldn't let me, but the warning was fairly clear. I don't quite get the whole password thing and think it would be nice to have an option to order without it-- I literally have so many passwords these days I have to write them all down on three sheets of paper and keep them in a desk drawer by the computer (at home AND at work) which really defeats the purpose of a password in the first place, eh?

I'd much rather see a feature that says, "contact the photographer for updates on your order" than a password. That "contact the photog" is already part of the order process, but customers still have to enter a password.
    There is a discussion on this here: http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=40542 , but I want to make sure we're talking about the same thing. Are you asking about the password you are required to create when you place an order?

It's there so you can go to an easy url like this: http://www.smugmug.com/cart/order.mg?OrderID=23424 to view your order. Specifically, you can see thumbs and cropping and use those thumbs to get back to the gallery they came from. It makes placing a similar order easy. If there wasn't a password in place, you (or anyone) could go to a random order page (http://www.smugmug.com/cart/order.mg?OrderID=2658) and see personal info.

I hope that makes sense! I'm glad people are speaking up about this, I'll start thinking of a way to explain this better in the shopping cart (helpie?).

-Anne