Question concerning best direction for an avid amatuer

STLMach1STLMach1 Registered Users Posts: 152 Major grins
edited August 17, 2006 in Finishing School
Greetings everyone! :):

Is there an easy response to this question?

I am currently using Adobe Photoshop Elements 2.0 which came pre-loaded on my PC. Is upgrading to Adobe Photoshop Elements 4.0 the best option for someone who is not nor will ever be a professional photographer? As an amatuer, I still want my photos to be the best they can be but after looking quickly at Amazon.com and seeing the full blown version of PS at roughly $600, I'm thinking this is not the best route for me.

The caliber of work I see here amazes me and though I don't know how to use a fraction of the features within PSE 2.0, I'm guessing that some of the amazing touches I see in the work posted here has some degree to do with software such as PS. I suppose it's the typical "champagne taste on a beer budget" scenario for me.

I guess it boils down to the question; has PSE 4.0 advanced over PSE 2.0 in features and ability that it "might" offer enough to make it an attractive and reasonable option for a serious amatuer in lieu of PS at $600?

Sorry if the question seems somewhat vague. I know one can't drive a Ferrari for the price of a Corvette but if the Corvette has "close" to the same capabilities for a fraction of the cost, the Corvette would make a nice substitute. :D

Thanks in advance for any input you might be able to provide on this topic.
Michael

Comments

• cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2006
    Well, this is a bit hard to answer without knowing your gear, what you tend to shoot, how much control you want, and whether you show RAW or not.

But, given all of that, in general, PSE 4.0 is a huge leap forward, and likely well worth the upgrade, assuming you are happy with the feature set.

For the same money, you could also purchase PaintShopPro, which is far more powerful, coming fairly close to the full Photoshop, or even Bibble Lite, which I think is a very well rounded editor, RAW and JPEG. There are other solutions as well, and others will likely chime in.
  • ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2006
    Just starting out? Consider LightZone. See: http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=40440
    If not now, when?
  • claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2006
    Don't forget used Ferraris are much cheaper than new. mwink.gif Grab an older copy of PS off ebay & then upgrade to CS2; should be much cheaper than the list $600. deal.gif

But, that said, I would say keep using what you already have until you find a point that the software is limiting what you want to do. There's a lot of people getting good results out of PSE. I'd check Adobe's site to see what the differences are & if they matter to you.
  • ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2006
    I agree on the not knowing gear stuff, etc. plus starting out, like Rutt says.

However, I got a deal on PSCS2, and I am sure you can, too. It was like 200.00 or 300.00. Was nowhere near 600.00. Plus if you know a student, I understand that they can get discounts, and for you, too, somehow.

I was not, and probably never will be a pro............smile. I just want the best and the easiest. I do not have Elements 4.0 so I don't know. But I do love PSCS2, it makes my life easier on the photographic side.

And one reason I got it, well not the main one.........but it counts and big. So many of the things discussed, written, books, mag articles, etc, are for PSCS2. That is the plus side.

The downside is that every time I have upgraded: more books, etc.

I would stay with photoshop just for that reason.......or elements. There is so much info out there for it. Nothing like reading something on a thread with info and having the correct program to use it.

Oh, do NOT go illegal, I did that route, did rectify it. I had a few good years, then the people were arrested.................well, I would NOT do it again.

Perhaps there is an upgrade deal for people who own elements 2, or there may be one coming up. I think my deal went with my Canon camera, but I am not sure. Maybe you could e-mail photoshop and ask. I think someone here told me about it, my deal was close to expiring when I found out about it, so it pays to make noise and look around.

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • STLMach1STLMach1 Registered Users Posts: 152 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2006
    Hi Everyone,

Sorry the delay in response. Things have been a bit busy since I posted this. I will read everyone's response hear and post some feedback and possibly a few more questions. Thanks for everyone's input! clap.gif

Michael