Options

DVI vs. VGA

snookman23snookman23 Registered Users Posts: 46 Big grins
edited August 17, 2006 in Digital Darkroom
I am going to buy a new notebook for use as my primary computer. I plan on buying a monitor to use for photo editing and the notebook screen for toolbars, etc. when at home. Is the DVI port necessary or should I just stick with VGA. 15" notebooks are hard to find with DVI ports.

Comments

• Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2006
    Bump
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2006
    DVI is necessary if you are going to connect a digital monitor. VGA is obviously analog. I would consider the monitor you are looking to use, rather than the laptop. If you own a very good digital monitor, then yes absolutely.

Today, most digital monitors are fairly high-end and expensive. A flat panel LCD does not equal digital by the way, most are actually analog: confusingly many with DVI ports are actually analog.

Personally, I have not seen any appreciable difference between analog and digital, but then I have not compared it on a decent monitor.

Now it is next to impossible to upgrade the video card in a laptop (some can be). If you EVER think you will need DVI out, then go for it. otherwise, you will be fine. Dont expect the laptop to have a life of 10yrs anyway, so nothing is permanent in computers.

Alot of laptops dont have DVI on the laptop itself, but do offer it on the port replicator that can be purchased with the laptop. Dell and IBM laptops feature this. Sony and of course, Apple laptops offer DVI out.
  • Options
    binghottbinghott Registered Users Posts: 1,075 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2006
    my 15.4" ferrari 4000 laptop has dvi which is how i'm able to get the best possible picture out of my brand new dell 24" widescreen monitor. as i've read, dvi is better than vga.
  • Options
    snookman23snookman23 Registered Users Posts: 46 Big grins
    edited August 17, 2006
    Thanks y'all. I've purchased a Dell Latitude D820, no DVI out, but I plan on buying a desktop next year (after the wedding!!)