Options

Photo calendar - using uw pics for good cause

SeattleYatesSeattleYates Registered Users Posts: 47 Big grins
edited September 18, 2006 in The Big Picture
I'm fairly new to Smugmug, and as a non-professional photographer, I decided I'd like to do something useful with my photos and website. Using downloadable software from www.digi-labs.net, I've created a 2007 calendar of some of my underwater photos (see nav bar on my website: www.UnderwaterReflections.com) to raise money for the Polycystic Kidney Disease Foundation (www.pkdcure.org).

Next, I "hired" Dgrinner JerryR (Jerry Roek) to do some customization of my site for me (I think he did a great job! :thumb). He even included a simple order form for people to order calendars!

Well, my goal is to raise at least $10,000 (net of production costs) for the PKD Foundation. That's about 900 calendars at $22.95 each.

Here's the cool part! I just "announced" the calendar by e-mail among friends, associates, and some underwater forums I frequent two days ago, and I've already got orders for about 107 calendars, which is about $2,500 worth! I don't know if I'll reach my goal of raising $10,000, but I'm now confident that I can raise "a lot," and it's a great feeling!

I guess my point is that those of you who (like me) don't make a living taking photos, but consider photography a "marvelous obsession," might be able to do some good with your photos by using them to raise money for a cause about which you feel strongly. This is my first attempt at it, and so far, I'm really psyched about the result! :):
Bruce Yates
Seattle, WA

Canon 5D MkII and 1Ds MkII (used mostly underwater), 1D MkIII for topside

www.UnderwaterReflections.com (my Smugmug site, customized by DGrinner jerryr)

If at first you don't succeed, try try again. Then quit. No use being a damn fool about it. WC Fields

Comments

• Options
    SeattleYatesSeattleYates Registered Users Posts: 47 Big grins
    edited September 18, 2006
    Special deal for Dgrinners on photo calendars
    I just wanted to give you all an update on my underwater photo calendar fund-raising effort (for the Polycystic Kidney Disease Foundation), and offer a special deal for Dgrinners!

Thus far, I've raised just over $7,500 with my calendars (http://www.underwaterreflections.com/gallery/1749596)! wings.gif To help reach my goal of $10,000, I'm offering a special "Dgrinner" price of $20 (about a 15% from the regular price of $22.99).

To order at this price, either click on the link above, or go to my website (www.UnderwaterReflections.com) and click "2007 PKD Calendar" on the nav bar. Then click on the order form link. After filling in the form, enter "DGrinner" in the Comments box, and instead of sending in the amount the order form calculates, just send $23 ($20 + $3 s&h) for each calendar you've ordered. Thanks in advance for helping me support a great cause, and for your interest in my underwater photography.

As I mentioned before, others of you might want to consider this as a good use for your best photos if you have a charitable organization about which you feel strongly! Oh, and FWIW, I am very happy with the final print quality of the calendars by Digi-Labs (www.digi-labs.net).

Bruce
    I'm fairly new to Smugmug, and as a non-professional photographer, I decided I'd like to do something useful with my photos and website. Using downloadable software from www.digi-labs.net, I've created a 2007 calendar of some of my underwater photos (see nav bar on my website: www.UnderwaterReflections.com) to raise money for the Polycystic Kidney Disease Foundation (www.pkdcure.org).

Next, I "hired" Dgrinner JerryR (Jerry Roek) to do some customization of my site for me (I think he did a great job! thumb.gif). He even included a simple order form for people to order calendars!

Well, my goal is to raise at least $10,000 (net of production costs) for the PKD Foundation. That's about 900 calendars at $22.95 each.

Here's the cool part! I just "announced" the calendar by e-mail among friends, associates, and some underwater forums I frequent two days ago, and I've already got orders for about 107 calendars, which is about $2,500 worth! I don't know if I'll reach my goal of raising $10,000, but I'm now confident that I can raise "a lot," and it's a great feeling!

I guess my point is that those of you who (like me) don't make a living taking photos, but consider photography a "marvelous obsession," might be able to do some good with your photos by using them to raise money for a cause about which you feel strongly. This is my first attempt at it, and so far, I'm really psyched about the result! :):
    Bruce Yates
    Seattle, WA

Canon 5D MkII and 1Ds MkII (used mostly underwater), 1D MkIII for topside

www.UnderwaterReflections.com (my Smugmug site, customized by DGrinner jerryr)

If at first you don't succeed, try try again. Then quit. No use being a damn fool about it. WC Fields
  • Options
    BeachBillBeachBill Registered Users Posts: 1,311 Major grins
    edited September 18, 2006
    Congrats on your sales. What a wonderful idea. More power to you!

And thanks for the link to DigiLabs.
    Bill Gerrard Photography - Facebook - Interview - SmugRoom: Useful Tools for SmugMug