Xnview free photo software

kkartkkart Registered Users Posts: 137 Major grins
edited August 18, 2006 in Finishing School
I thought I would mention this to ya all. A couple of weeks ago I was searching around looking for something that could do IPTC coding, along with editing EXIF and keywording, the whole thing. Getting my website ready, getting shots ready for stock agency's. I happened upon this program, which is 100% freeware, and tried it out. To my suprise it is a full on image editor that seems relatively unknown, and is this thing smokin powerful! I wasn't expecting it to read my Minolta Native Raw files, but it did. I have never seen it mentioned anywhere, so it came as a huge suprise. It is much more powerful than say Irfanview. Talk about finding a diamond! http://perso.orange.fr/pierre.g/xnview/enhome.html
Screen shots attached below.

Some of the features it has: :

Import about 400 graphic file formats
Export about 50 graphic file formats
Multipage TIFF, Animated GIF, Animated ICO support
Image IPTC, EXIF metadata support
EXIF auto rotation support
IPTC editing
Resize, rotate, crop support
Lossless rotate & crop (jpeg) support
Adjust brightness, contrast...
Auto levels, contrast
Modify number of colors
Apply filters (blur, average, emboss, ...)
Apply effects (lens, wave, ...)
Fullscreen mode
Slide show with effects
Batch convert, batch rename
Create WEB page easily
Screen capture
Create contact Sheet
Create or edit Multi-page file (TIFF, DCX, LDF)
TWAIN & WIA support (Windows only)
Print support (Windows only)
Drag & Drop support (Windows only)
Compare image side by side
Filmstrip layout
44 languages support (Windows only)
And many many other things...
No Adware, No Spyware

xnant9.jpg

xnbsx8.jpg
"Capturing Colorado, one click at a time"
website | photoblog | facebook | twitter | deviantArt | RedBubble

Comments

• ForeheadForehead Registered Users Posts: 679 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2006
    Hmm...I shall give this a try.

But if weird shtuff starts happening to my computer (freeware has that annoying tendancy, you know), you'll be hearing from The Bubbas!! :toni :toni :toni

Thanks for the tip!
    Steve-o
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,954 moderator
    edited August 18, 2006
    Forehead wrote:
    Hmm...I shall give this a try.

But if weird shtuff starts happening to my computer (freeware has that annoying tendancy, you know), you'll be hearing from The Bubbas!! :toni :toni :toni

Thanks for the tip!
    I have been using XnView for certain tasks for several years and have never had a problem with it. I do my editing with CS2, but file renaming is much faster than with Bridge. I also use it for slideshows. It has a command line based companion called nConvert that I call from my own custom-built archive management database application. And, yes, it does seem to have quite extensive editing capabilities, but I have no personal experience with them. nConvert can be scripted, by the way, to do some pretty powerful batch processing. Not bad at all for free.

Regards,
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2006
    Hmmm, sound svery interesting. Worth a test run. On my work machine. naughty.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • AnthonyAnthony Registered Users Posts: 149 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2006
    wxwax wrote:
    Hmmm, sound svery interesting. Worth a test run. On my work machine. naughty.gif
    No one could accuse you of being cautious could they...?!

Anthony.
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2006
    Richard,
    rsinmadrid wrote:
    I have been using XnView for certain tasks for several years and have never had a problem with it.
    Not bad at all for free.
    Regards,
    Thank you very much for the feedback. thumb.gif
    Several years of usage and never thought of sharing this info on your own? rolleyes1.gif

Important question (for me): does it support RAW files?
    Thanks!
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,954 moderator
    edited August 18, 2006
    Nikolai wrote:
    Thank you very much for the feedback. thumb.gif
    Several years of usage and never thought of sharing this info on your own? rolleyes1.gif
    I use it only for stuff that is very specific to my workflow. Since I built my own photo database, I never thought it would be of much use to anyone else. In any event, it only has very basic editing methods--no layers, channels, masks. It does have many filters and other effects, and it accepts Photoshop plugins. Elements is a much more powerful program and I imagine GIMP is as well, though I haven't tried that yet.

Yes, it can read (but not write) many RAW formats, including .CRW, .CR2 and .NEF. It can read and write .PSD.
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2006
    Richard,
    rsinmadrid wrote:
    Yes, it can read (but not write) many RAW formats, including .CRW, .CR2 and .NEF. It can read and write .PSD.
    Wow, now that's impressive :-)
    Thank you very much for the info! thumb.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"