New Canon Lenses in the Pipe

BlurmoreBlurmore Registered Users Posts: 992 Major grins
edited August 19, 2006 in Cameras
There has been much debate about this on other boards, but I have it on fairly reliable source that the next 2 lenses coming from Canon will be....

50mm f1.2 L
70-200 f4 L IS -this one is shocking to me, as it will have to retail at right around or just under 1000 dollars to be competitive.

I personally would have liked to see a 1000-1200 dollar 55-300 f4 EFS IS. But this is what I have heard.

Comments

• PezpixPezpix Registered Users Posts: 391 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2006
    The 100-400 Mark II f4L or the 200-400 f4L have been big rumors as well. I'm also hearing varied rumors about the reintroduction of the 50 f1, a possible 10mm and an updated 400 f5.6L with IS. (Edit, whoops, meant 400 f5.6, not f4)

Guess next week should be alot of fun! thumb.gif

Also, here is the big rumors via NorthLights Images

http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/Canon_1DS_MkIII.html

6fps FF camera with 5D sensor (5D+ or the fabled 3D)
    1Ds III with 5fps 18MP and 8.5 fps 12 or 10MP (aka 1DsN or 1Ds3)
    a 35mm 1.8, a 100-400 f/4L IS and a 400 5.6L IS
    Professional Ancient Smugmug Shutter Geek
    Master Of Sushi Noms
    Amateur CSS Dork
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2006
    Gee, I wish they'd made a super wide angle that was sharp all the way to the corners and had no vignetting.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • luckyrweluckyrwe Registered Users Posts: 952 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2006
    wxwax wrote:
    Gee, I wish they'd made a super wide angle that was sharp all the way to the corners and had no vignetting.

You're thinking of Leica. :D

A 50/1.2L would be a step backwards. I'd hope for a 50/1.0L II along the same improvements (or more) of the 85/1.2L, even if it is three grand.
  • marlofmarlof Registered Users Posts: 1,833 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2006
    wxwax wrote:

Oh, they do. It's called the Olympus ZD 7-14 (14-28 35mm FOV).
    the 7-14mm exhibits virtually no geometric distortion, impressively low vignetting considering its extreme coverage, and is sharp in the corners throughout its focal range. It's also very well-built and designed to stand-up to professional use. There's really no technical aspect we can fault it on.

Too bad it doesn't fit your Canon. :D Then again, you people have other advantages. Like camera bodies that are actually released, have a modern AF system, and good high ISO... Let's hope Photokina promises my home team will announce something to deal with that.
    enjoy being here while getting there
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2006
    Well dayum, that does sound like a great lens. :cry
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • marlofmarlof Registered Users Posts: 1,833 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2006
    wxwax wrote:
    Well dayum, that does sound like a great lens. :cry

it's an area where the smaller sensor, and the near telecentric design of the lenses (making sure the light hits the sensor as much as possible in a straight path) pays off, compared to full frame cameras. which have tons of advantages of their own, of course.
    enjoy being here while getting there
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2006
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2006
    Meh. I don't care too much about either of those, but what's really missing is a refresh of the so-so wides. And nothing in the 18 or 21 range that's L quality.
  • I SimoniusI Simonius Registered Users Posts: 1,034 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Meh. I don't care too much about either of those, but what's really missing is a refresh of the so-so wides. And nothing in the 18 or 21 range that's L quality.

that's what I'd like to see too!
    Veni-Vidi-Snappii
    ...pics..
  • limbiklimbik Registered Users Posts: 379 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2006
    I'd love to see the 100-400 Mark II f4L or the 200-400 f4L, as long as one of them is not a push-pull. :patch

The 70-200 f4L IS just seems insane to me. Preference I guess, but I'd take f2.8 over f4 with IS any day. Granted, this debate has been hashed out at shorter focal lengths to death already.

The rumor that I am most interested in is a possible update of the 5D.
  • I SimoniusI Simonius Registered Users Posts: 1,034 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2006
    limbik wrote:
    I'd love to see the 100-400 Mark II f4L or the 200-400 f4L, as long as one of them is not a push-pull. :patch

The 70-200 f4L IS just seems insane to me. Preference I guess, but I'd take f2.8 over f4 with IS any day. Granted, this debate has been hashed out at shorter focal lengths to death already.

The rumor that I am most interested in is a possible update of the 5D.
    me ttoo... (shhhhhhhh......)
    Veni-Vidi-Snappii
    ...pics..