don't really know how to explain what I want to do - - PLEASE look and help?!

rosselliotrosselliot Registered Users Posts: 702 Major grins
edited August 19, 2006 in Finishing School
okay, so this may seem a bit confusing, but I'm gonna try to explain the best I can. btw, I own photoshop elements 4.0.

okay, so I bought some patterned paper, and I want to scan it and get the pattern and then create shapes and paste them onto cards and print them out. for example, I have some merry christmas cards, and I want to take that paper, find a christmas tree shape, replace the christmas tree's color with the paper's pattern and paste it onto a card. does this make sense? I hope so...if not, I'll try to clarify..

thanks for any help in advance:

- Re
www.rossfrazier.com
www.rossfrazier.com/blog

My Equipment:
Canon EOS 5D w/ battery grip
Backup Canon EOS 30D | Canon 28 f/1.8 | Canon 24 f/1.4L Canon 50mm f/1.4 | Sigma 50mm f/2.8 EX DI Macro | Canon 70-200 F/2.8 L | Canon 580 EX II Flash and Canon 550 EX Flash
Apple MacBook Pro with dual 24" monitors
Domke F-802 bag and a Shootsac by Jessica Claire
Infiniti QX4

Comments

• wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2006
    Makes perfect sense. It's easy to do with layer masks in Photoshop. But I'm not familiar with Elements.

In PS, you want to make your wallpaper your background (first) layer. Make your tree a second layer. Select the tree outline. Make a layer mask. Mask out the tree interior, so the wallpaper pattern shows through. Compress and save.

If you wants lots of patterned trees for a background, select your original patterned tree, copy it and paste it as many times as you want. Resize to taste.

At least, that's how I'd approach it. In Photoshop, there are a million ways. I have no doubt someone will show you an easier way. With luck, one of them can be duplicated in Elements.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • rosselliotrosselliot Registered Users Posts: 702 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2006
    wxwax wrote:
    Makes perfect sense. It's easy to do with layer masks in Photoshop. But I'm not familiar with Elements.

In PS, you want to make your wallpaper your background (first) layer. Make your tree a second layer. Select the tree outline. Make a layer mask. Mask out the tree interior, so the wallpaper pattern shows through. Compress and save.

If you wants lots of patterned trees for a background, select your original patterned tree, copy it and paste it as many times as you want. Resize to taste.

At least, that's how I'd approach it. In Photoshop, there are a million ways. I have no doubt someone will show you an easier way. With luck, one of them can be duplicated in Elements.

under what menu would the layer mask be? like, could I use the magic wand to select the tree? then how do I create a mask from there?

thanks!!!!

- RE
    www.rossfrazier.com
    www.rossfrazier.com/blog

My Equipment:
    Canon EOS 5D w/ battery grip
    Backup Canon EOS 30D | Canon 28 f/1.8 | Canon 24 f/1.4L Canon 50mm f/1.4 | Sigma 50mm f/2.8 EX DI Macro | Canon 70-200 F/2.8 L | Canon 580 EX II Flash and Canon 550 EX Flash
    Apple MacBook Pro with dual 24" monitors
    Domke F-802 bag and a Shootsac by Jessica Claire
    Infiniti QX4