Objective comparison of Canon to Nikon

13»

Comments

• HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2006
    Seefutlung wrote:
    Okay Harry, you're right. ISO 1600 -3200 is unwarranted. I'll let Nikon, Canon, Leica, Olympus, Pentax and Sony know.

Gary

That's not really the point. The only limitation on our photography doesn't come from our gear but comes from the limitations we place on ourselves. It doesn't matter what camera you use as long as you're happy with it and are willing to take the time to learn the camera's strengths and weakenesses. A good number of my "rebuttal" shots were from my ole Sony 717 which cost less than most of the lenses I now use.

A good photographer will get fine results weather he uses a Nikon, a Canon, A Sony, a Pentax, a Sigma, etc, etc, etc. There's no best camera out there just the camera that suits an individual's preferences the best.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • TomaSTomaS Registered Users Posts: 314 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2006
    Isn't this getting a bit tiresome? Gary and Harry need to get out more.:D

While no eval is 'objective', at least this guy is familiar with the three Canon (D20, D30, D5) and Nikon D200 in the review. And it gets into a bit more than high ISO performance which is just one of many things to consider.

http://www.photo.net/equipment/canon/20D_vs_30D_vs_5D_vs_D200
  • ballentphotoballentphoto Registered Users Posts: 312 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2006
    TomaS wrote:
    Isn't this getting a bit tiresome? Gary and Harry need to get out more.:D

While no eval is 'objective', at least this guy is familiar with the three Canon (D20, D30, D5) and Nikon D200 in the review. And it gets into a bit more than high ISO performance which is just one of many things to consider.

http://www.photo.net/equipment/canon/20D_vs_30D_vs_5D_vs_D200

Here is my Gallery of 640-800 ISO shots taken handheld with a 17-55 f/2.8 Nikon lens. All of them are handheld with a Nikon D200 thumb.gif One other advantage for Nikon is Auto-ISO Set your minimum ISO set the max and the min shutter that you want to use and the camera floats up and down as needed.

http://www.ballentphoto.com/gallery/1759033/1/87218802

Not too shabby IMO :):
    -Michael
    Just take the picture :):
    Pictures are at available at:http://www.ballentphoto.com

My Blog: http://ballentphoto.blogspot.com
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited August 23, 2006
    One other advantage for Nikon is Auto-ISO Set your minimum ISO set the max and the min shutter that you want to use and the camera floats up and down as needed.

That's a nice feature.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • SeefutlungSeefutlung Registered Users Posts: 2,781 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2006
    I agree ... arguing the need or lack thereof ... regarding high ISO is getting tedious. So Harry ... you shoot the way you deem appropriate and I will use a methodology that fits my needs and shooting style.

Gary
    My snaps can be found here:
    Unsharp at any Speed
  • CygnusX1CygnusX1 Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited August 23, 2006
    No Photoshop here.

She just walked over and wanted a look at the Canon. ne_nau.gif

89283734-M.jpg
    Canon 20D, Canon 50mm f/1.8 & f/2.5 Macro, Sigma 18-50 f/2.8, Sigma 80-400 EX DG OS.
    http://dcer.smugmug.com :huh
  • gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2006
    CygnusX1 wrote:
    No Photoshop here.

She just walked over and wanted a look at the Canon. ne_nau.gif
    Dawin wrote about this sort of selection behavior lol3.gif
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2006
    Thanks, Gus....this thread needed some levity!!! rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif
  • gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2006
    saurora wrote:
    Thanks, Gus....this thread needed some levity!!! rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif
    Shhh...truth be know i couldnt care what someone uses as long as they use it.

Seriously though, i just like to get the pot boiling briskly so personal opinions come to the front & thus i think that helps with people making choices as to what gear to buy. Threads like this need objective opinions. People need to see others mention situations that they can relate to.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited August 24, 2006
    gus wrote:
    Dawin wrote about this sort of selection behavior lol3.gif

Well Freud wrote a little something that might relate here too! (But ladies might be present, so I defer.)

ziggy53
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2006
    mwgrice wrote:
    Can anybody out there point me to a reasonably objective comparison of the Canon and Nikon product lines?
    :D
    Right off the bat, I don't understand why you would want an objective comparison. You're going to be USING the camera on an every day basis, and which camera YOU prefer is going to be 100% subjective. If you force yourself to go with one system just because it is objectively better than the other, you could end up quite miserable...

My advice is to shoot with the cameras you're thinking about buying. Team up with some nearby photography aficionados (sp?) who have one of these systems, or rent them from a local store if they will let you put the money towards buying it if you decide to do so.

Just diving right in is not something I would do unless there were a very fantastic return policy offered to me. (meaning buy from Adorama, B&H, or KEH, and NOWHERE else!!)

I understand what you mean in your original post about an "objective" opinion, because you don't want some crazy fanboy pushing their brand on you, but I hope you understand what I mean, too. The decision must be a subjective, personal one.

Personally, I strongly prefer Nikon's camera body designs as opposed to Canon's. I like having two same-size dials, in similar fore and aft locations on the camera, to control my apeture and shutter speed, Canon's different sized dials just do NOT jive well with my brain. The front one is small and stiff, while the rear one is big and spins very freely. This throws me off. Some on the other hand are just head over heels for Canon's enormous rear wheel. Hey, whatever floats your boat!

So, go out and get your hands on the cameras. That's the best advice you can possibly get!

Take care and good luck,
    -Matt-
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum