Penatx ME

judahjudah Registered Users Posts: 253 Major grins
edited August 24, 2006 in Cameras
Hi all,
been away for a while. I finally brought home my new baby (Sara, born Aug.11th) and had a lot to do. I'm enjoyin' every minute with her even if it's my second one. Anyway, today my mother in law gave me my birthday present (I'll turn 28 on Sept.4th) and to my big surprise it was a Pentax ME in superb condition. According to her it was never used, literally never. The camera comes with a 50/1.7, 28, 135/3.5 and a Vivitar 90 macro. The camera is like new out of the box and I I was looking around for an analog reflex for a while. Anyway, I'd like to know if anyone like to share some comments or suggestions. I immeditaely ran out of home and bought a couple T-Max 400 to start and learn this new fabolous world. Have to say that the viewfinder of my Fuji S-5600 looks ridicoulos now compared to the Pentax's.
Fire away! :):
Amazing grace! How sweet the sound
That saved a wretch like me!
I once was lost, but now am found;
Was blind, but now I see.

http://judah.smugmug.com/

Comments

• Wes WeberWes Weber Registered Users Posts: 38 Big grins
    edited August 20, 2006
    Wow... I had one of those for years. Actually, I still have it. I really like the simplicity of that camera - so small, light, quick to use. I shot a billion pics for the college newspaper with my ME. I haven't shot with mine for quite a while now, and I have heard that the light sensor is prone to failure over time - might be something to keep an eye on. If I remember right, it's a super cheap ($20ish) fix, so no biggie in any case.

Have fun!

Wes
  • Red BullRed Bull Registered Users Posts: 719 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2006
    I love the ME. I actually have an ME Super which is a bit different. It's actually my dad's old camera but he hasn't used it in years.
    -Steven

http://redbull.smugmug.com

"Money can't buy happiness...But it can buy expensive posessions that make other people envious, and that feels just as good.":D

Canon 20D, Canon 50 1.8 II, Canon 70-200 f/4L, Canon 17-40 f/4 L, Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro, Canon 430ex.
  • photodougphotodoug Registered Users Posts: 870 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2006
    ebay has all the accessories you'll need...like a power winder! Congrats. My first purchase was the MX....small, easy as heck to use.
  • judahjudah Registered Users Posts: 253 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2006
    Hi guys,
    thanks for your tips. A coupel days ago my mother in law decided that the photography bug really hit me and so she gave me an Olympus OM2n with 50/1.8 too. I have my first two TMax400 rolls out for development and than I'll try and understand the difference between digital and film.
    I'm really really happy!

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited August 23, 2006
    Judah,

First of all, congratulations on the new baby. Enjoy her! I hope everyone is well.

Regarding the Pentax ME and the Oly OM2n, be sure to check the light seal on the camera back. Cameras that old are prone to seal failure and light leakage.

They are both fine cameras, and are capable of great results. Lenses make more difference than bodies, and the "photographer" makes the most difference of all.

Best,

ziggy53
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • judahjudah Registered Users Posts: 253 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2006
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Judah,

First of all, congratulations on the new baby. Enjoy her! I hope everyone is well.

Regarding the Pentax ME and the Oly OM2n, be sure to check the light seal on the camera back. Cameras that old are prone to seal failure and light leakage.

They are both fine cameras, and are capable of great results. Lenses make more difference than bodies, and the "photographer" makes the most difference of all.

Best,

ziggy53

Hi Ziggy,
    thanks, I'm enjoying my baby a lot (am on vacation right now). She's so cute and sweet. Eat & sleep kinda baby. Couldn't ask for more. So far I got only a 50mm with the Oly but I'm looking around for a couple more used lenses (especially 35 and 28, 24mm is out of my price range). Today I'll have my first two B/W films developed. I'll keep my fingers crossed. Hope it wasn't a waste of time!

Cheers :):