Options

Reformat my CF cards w/Mac?

PoseidonPoseidon Registered Users Posts: 504 Major grins
edited August 20, 2006 in Digital Darkroom
There has got to be any easy way right? On my PC I just right click, select format, and done. I can't find that option on my G5!

Please help. Thanks!
Mike LaPorte
Perfect Pix

Comments

• Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,697 moderator
    edited August 20, 2006
    Be safe!!

Format your CF cards in your camera, not in your PC or your Mac!
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    ballentphotoballentphoto Registered Users Posts: 312 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2006
    Poseidon wrote:
    There has got to be any easy way right? On my PC I just right click, select format, and done. I can't find that option on my G5!

Please help. Thanks!

Never do that... I always format in the camera. The camera knows what it wants, why fight it, especially formating in a Mac will cause all sorts of problems since it is MUCH less likely to be the right format for a card.
    -Michael
    Just take the picture :):
    Pictures are at available at:http://www.ballentphoto.com

My Blog: http://ballentphoto.blogspot.com
  • Options
    AntoineDAntoineD Registered Users Posts: 393 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2006
    I agree: never format with a pc, you never know wether your camera will "like" it
    or not :)
    have a quick look at my portfolio (there's a photolog, too) :: (11-07-2006) experiencing a new flash portfolio. What do you think?
  • Options
    edited August 20, 2006
    Thanks for the input guys. I guess it is just habit, I would move all my pictures from the cards, make a DVD, then go back and reformat the cards so they would be fresh...

I guess with the Mac I will develope new habits.
    Mike LaPorte
    Perfect Pix
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,697 moderator
    edited August 20, 2006
    Actually the ability to create Mac or PC drive formats is present on a MAC, but hidden in the Utilities Folder within the Applications folder It is called Disk Utility.. Go Figure!! Those funny Mac names again!!

It can format to MS-DOS or Unix or Mac extended journaled versions. So, it is possible to reformat hard drives from MAC to PC and such, but this is definitely NOT where you want to format CF or SD cards.

ALWAYS - always format memory cards in the camera they are going to be used in.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited August 20, 2006
    I found that (disk utility) the other day, but it certainly didn't look like what I wanted. If I have to use my CF for something other then pictures, it is nice to know where that tool is though.
    Mike LaPorte
    Perfect Pix
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,929 moderator
    edited August 20, 2006
    I rarely reformat my CF cards, but when I do I use the camera. I use a card reader, and after I finish uploading to my PC, I just delete the top level directory and all its contents. Takes about 2 seconds and I have never had a problem with this method on my 20D.

FWIW.