Options

Chal 71: YIKES! thoughts?

ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
edited August 19, 2006 in The Dgrin Challenges
89177670-L.jpg

88923317-L.jpg

89167349-L.jpg

89167351-L.jpg

All above were taken this week, as were those below, one day apart on the ones above and the ones below.

The kingfisher below, same bird, diff shots, he has small fish. Small bird, small fish, smile. Besides that bird has a personal space that is huge, and he will leave in a heartbeat if one gets inside his space.

89049189-L.jpg

89049187-L.jpg
After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.

Comments

• Options
    Antonio CorreiaAntonio Correia Registered Users Posts: 6,241 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2006
    I like all the pictures but I like best the first two.
    The motion of the birds with their heads frozen are very good shots.
    I even like the 1.st one better because there is field in front of the bird.
    thumb.gif
    All the best ! ... António Correia - Facebook
  • Options
    edited August 19, 2006
    Thanks, Antonio! Would it make a difference if you knew that I had to do more photoshop with the first bird. Yes, the composition is much better, IMO, too. It is a less frequent bird to get......................and when I find out what kind of bird it is.............I think, it has to be a heron, but I am not sure which one.

However this is not a bird challenge and the wings of the white one, the egret, they just naturally did that really cool thing. I was amazed when I saw it on my computer. The eye, etc, perfect focus with the wings like a roto rooter, smile.

The other bird, the heron, the background was blurred naturally, the bird was in focus, but did not have that cool roto rooter thing going...

The others, well, you are probably right on them. I liked the Kingfisher, a difficult bird to get, too, but it just doesn't work as well.

ginger (and I have been trying for a flock of Ibis the whole time. All I have are birds, and my Ibis flocks, well, I am getting closer, but not there yet.)

There are lots of birds around right now. May be the tide, or maybe they are getting ready for something.
  • Options
    douglasdouglas Registered Users Posts: 696 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2006
    Great photos, the 1st 2 are my favs. I like the colors best in 1 and the motion best in 2.
    Best regards,
    douglas
  • Options
    edited August 19, 2006
    douglas wrote:
    Great photos, the 1st 2 are my favs. I like the colors best in 1 and the motion best in 2.

Thanks, douglas. I so do agree with you! ginger
  • Options
    edited August 19, 2006
    I cropped to a better composition
    89100728-L-1.jpg

88922527-L-2.jpg

notice that there is a little bit of natural motion blur out from his/her feet. I don't want to cut that off, or put it too close to the edge.

88922527-S-2.jpg

88922527-S-3.jpg

89225762-S.jpg

89287651-S.jpg

Directly above, that is the original length, so that is all the nose room I can give the bird no matter how I cut it. So far I have flipped the photo horizontally, to give a better eye direction. Then I can move the bird up or down, or change the proportions a bit, but I can't give him anymore flying space. I wish I could.

At only 200 ISO, well, I could do it??????

I cannot tell you all how really real this photo is!!! Minimum photoshop, except to get rid of the blue tint on the wings.

Amazing! Well, I mean handheld and all. I just hate to crop a photo like this.

g (Is anyone confused yet???? sorry) thanks!

Better??? I put another version on, I don't have any more room to give him. This time I made him/her lower, that is the only thing I have a choice on, how high or low to put the bird???
  • Options
    edited August 19, 2006
    ginger_55 wrote:
    89167351-L.jpg
    This is stork isn't it ?
    There are many in Portugal of course as they are a migrating bird.
    :):thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited August 19, 2006
    No, it is an Ibis, I don't have a stork in this series. I didn't get one good enough to work up, IMO.

There were one or two out there. More birds than usual, but fewer storks.

I have one lumbering stork I kind of might like, but no motion whatsoever, smile. I do have lots of storks from last year when there seemed to be more storks.

This year, they seem to have stayed with Harry! Two states down from me.

ginger
  • Options
    edited August 19, 2006
    ginger_55 wrote:
    No, it is an Ibis, I don't have a stork in this series. I didn't get one good enough to work up, IMO.

There were one or two out there. More birds than usual, but fewer storks.

I have one lumbering stork I kind of might like, but no motion whatsoever, smile. I do have lots of storks from last year when there seemed to be more storks.

This year, they seem to have stayed with Harry! Two states down from me.

ginger

thumb.gif
  • Options
    BendrBendr Registered Users Posts: 665 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2006
    I love the composition on the last one you posted the feeling of speed you have created with the blurred wings and panning...

eek7.gif
    Did you flip it from the original one?

Anyway, Great job!

clap.gif

Ben
  • Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2006
    1st 2 and 5th are my choice :):
    Great photos
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2006
    Really like the cropped version of #2.

Virgiina

Email