Options

And the winner is...

lr1811lr1811 Registered Users Posts: 363 Major grins
edited December 6, 2004 in Cameras
Planning on upgrading to a more serious amateur/pro camera. Would love to hear suggestions. I have been looking at the Sony Cybershot DSC-F828. Am I even in the right category?

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    NirNir Registered Users Posts: 1,400 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2004
    lr1811 wrote:
    Planning on upgrading to a more serious amateur/pro camera. Would love to hear suggestions. I have been looking at the Sony Cybershot DSC-F828. Am I even in the right category?

Thanks!
    Hi!

If you define the category 'amateur/pro', then yes, the 828 is in the right category. I love my 828!
    But, it is very difficult to tell you what is suitable for YOU.
    Have you read evaluations and compared features and specs on www.dpreview.com?

Nir Alon

images of my thoughts
  • Options
    jimfjimf Registered Users Posts: 338 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2004
    lr1811 wrote:
    Planning on upgrading to a more serious amateur/pro camera. Would love to hear suggestions. I have been looking at the Sony Cybershot DSC-F828.

The thing about the 828 that really bugs me is the high noise level. It's generally a nice package, but compared to almost anything in the 5-6MP range (even Sony's older model) it's quite noisy. The extra resolution is not worth the noise if you ask me.

Noise charts are available here:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sonydscf828/page14.asp

For the same money you can buy a Canon EOS-300D kit which has a much superior sensor. Not as nice a lens in the kit, but you can upgrade your lenses over time -- you can't with the Sony. Or, for a little bit more, the excellent Nikon D70 kit is quite a buy.
    jim frost
    jimf@frostbytes.com
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2004
    lr1811 wrote:

Thanks!
    lr811, the problem is that you're asking a very general question. It would help folks to make recommendations if you described how you'd use the camera and tell us the size your budget. There are so many good cameras out there, too many choices!
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited November 30, 2004
    Nikon D70
    I realize this is a general question.

Today I was introduced to digital SLR cameras. The way they were described, this is what I want. It is hard to explain what that is - but it defintely more then just point and shoot like with my other digital cameras.

My budget is about $1000-$1500.

I looked at the Nikon D70 today. $1300 with a $100 rebate. I would still need a memory card (4G) and warranty (?-worth it?) I'm not sure what other accesories I would need though. Is this is good camera?

lr1811
  • Options
    edited November 30, 2004
    nod.gif Yup, it's an excellent camera.

Unfortunately, your budget won't cover buying the lenses you'll need with a dSLR. SLR's need a bunch of lenses to give you the zoom range you get in a single point-and-shoot. Plus you might need a backup battery; definitely more CF cards, as your files will be large; image processing software for your computer; perhaps a faster computer and more storage to deal with the large file sizes; a good tripod and head; maybe an external flash.....

In other words, your spending begins with the body, it doesn't end there. And $1500 is a nice start, but it won't take you to the promised land. naughty.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
  • Options
    edited November 30, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    nod.gif Yup, it's an excellent camera.

Unfortunately, your budget won't cover buying the lenses you'll need with a dSLR. SLR's need a bunch of lenses to give you the zoom range you get in a single point-and-shoot. Plus you might need a backup battery; definitely more CF cards, as your files will be large; image processing software for your computer; perhaps a faster computer and more storage to deal with the large file sizes; a good tripod and head; maybe an external flash.....

In other words, your spending begins with the body, it doesn't end there. And $1500 is a nice start, but it won't take you to the promised land. naughty.gif

Interesting!

This comes with a lens, which, will work for now. I also have access to some older Nikon lenses and maybe an external flash that allegedly work with this. I thought they had a 4G CF card for $300-400. I don't mind paying for that for another battery.

I already have Photoshop, a very good computer, and several tripods.
    I guess my budget is expandable, as I realize that the startup on this is not cheap.

I guess I'll review the specs and reviews on this camera.

lr1811
  • Options
    edited December 1, 2004
    Cool! You're in pretty good shape, then. Except for the lens thing. Get ready to be bit by the bug, and wonder where all your money went. naughty.gif
    Sid.
  • Options
    jimfjimf Registered Users Posts: 338 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2004
    lr1811 wrote:
    I looked at the Nikon D70 today. $1300 with a $100 rebate. I would still need a memory card (4G) and warranty (?-worth it?) I'm not sure what other accesories I would need though. Is this is good camera?

The D70 is an excellent camera, especially for the price. You don't need a 4G chip though, even shooting RAW you'll do fine with a 1 or 2G chip (about 80 and 160 shots respectively IIRC, more if you shoot JPG) if you want to save a little money. It comes with a warrantee (1yr?), but perhaps you're thinking of an extended warrantee? I almost never do those, the way I look at it the warrantee folks are betting nothing goes wrong and they have actuaries -- I think I like their side of the bet better, especially with electronic equipment.

Someone else mentioned lenses, the kit lens on that is a fine general purpose lens (much better than the one that comes with the EOS-300D). You'll want more lenses, but nothing says you have to do that immediately.

Given your budget I would be all over the D70, it is a great buy. I wish it had been out early this year when I needed to buy, but I'm a Canon man now....
    jim frost
    jimf@frostbytes.com
  • Options
    edited December 1, 2004
    where to buy
    Thanks for the help.

If the 1-2G card is suitable, I'll go with that. The store wants to sell an extended warranty. I almost always do not buy these. I didn't know what you all thought about these on the cameras.

Any suggestions on a good place to buy this? I am experienced with ebay but would rather not shop for this item there. I went to my local camera store - really like the attention/customer service there and would rather buy from a local store, but I know I can save a few hundred $ online.

Anyway, thanks for the help.

lr1811
  • Options
    edited December 1, 2004
    If you're thinking about buying online, read this thread for things to avoid. Like Brooklyn. naughty.gif
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited December 1, 2004
    Canon?
    wxwax wrote:
    If you're thinking about buying online, read this thread for things to avoid. Like Brooklyn. naughty.gif
    Thanks wxwax... stay away from Brooklyn!!

I was just looking at a comparable Canon. I have my heart stuck on the Nikon D70 but now the Canon people are starting to influence me. Why is this so hard!?

Also, while I am at it - someone told me I would be better off with two smaller memory cards rather then one large one. That way in case of failure I have a back up available. And on top of that - I was told there is a difference in quality on the different cards. If I plan of taking a lot of high end photos, do I need to think about a more expensive memory card? Will this make a noticeable difference in my photos?

lr1811
  • Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2004
    CF quality
    lr1811 wrote:
    Also, while I am at it - someone told me I would be better off with two smaller memory cards rather then one large one. That way in case of failure I have a back up available. And on top of that - I was told there is a difference in quality on the different cards. If I plan of taking a lot of high end photos, do I need to think about a more expensive memory card? Will this make a noticeable difference in my photos?

I can think of several ways in which one memory card would be of better quality than another, but none of those ways influnece the quality of the photo. A card might be more reliable, have a larger number of write/erase cycles, or be faster than another. But the memory card cannot influence the quality of the image itself.

I have San Disk Ultra-II cards, which are pricey because they have high write performance. I use this because my Canon 20D camera is capable of writing to the card at high speeds (not all cameras can, for instance a Canon 300D or 10D). I like the high speed writes for the sports photography I take. But when I shoot portraits or jewelry the write performance is unimportant.

How many photos will you take in one setting? Will you shoot RAW or JPG? Will you be shooting in burst mode, or a shot here and a shot there? This will influence how much memory you will need and whether they need to be "fast" cards or not. As per two versus one, having two is quite nice. They don't, however, need to be of the same size.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,697 moderator
    edited December 1, 2004
    lr1811 wrote:
    Thanks wxwax... stay away from Brooklyn!!

I was just looking at a comparable Canon. I have my heart stuck on the Nikon D70 but now the Canon people are starting to influence me. Why is this so hard!?

lr1811

Ordering online it is hard to beat B&H or Adorama. I have dealt with both over the years and never had any difficulties. There are places that advertise lower prices, but service and trustworthy business practises have a real worth.

I prefer larger cards or microdrives so that I do not have to change cards in the field. I can shoot all day with a 2Gb card or MD and never have to open the cameras door to change out a card and / or drop the other card or get raindrops inside the camera. And yes, my cameras are used in the rain.

The big advantage of 2 cards is that in a studio setting you can have someone empty one while you are shooting with the other. You really can go either way without worrying about it too much. In the long run, you will own more than one card simply because it is so much more convenient.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,910 moderator
    edited December 1, 2004
    lr1811 wrote:

lr1811
    Don't forget the 20D. Either would be a great camera.

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2004
    Do NOT use, or purchase, a microdrive if you camp outdoors in fluxuating temperatures or in moist / humid areas. They WILL die a miserable death and leave you stranded. (luckily I had my old N65 and some velvia for emergencies!)

As far as multiple cards go, why get two 512's instead of a 1G card? If you're that concerned about losing data, consider this: There are cameras out there that shoot to multiple memory cards at the same time, and that would be the way to go if someone is that concerned about losing data. Because having two different cads simply means that there will always be one card NOT in the camera, somewhere in a pocket / backpack etc, and you'll be switching them around a lot, which in my opinion makes your cards much more vulnerable to getting lost/stolen, dirty or broken or swallowed. I'd rather trust Lexar or Sandisk to make quality memory cards than myself to keep track of two different cards... But that's just forgetful me.

Personally, I think that anyone who has not shot with a film SLR should do so before owning a DSLR, because SLR bodies and lenses are a whole new pot of 'taters for those who are used to point and shoot, and a lot of frustration and dumb questions usually result. I'd very highly reccomend an investigation of the new Nikon 8800. It's got 8MP and a 35-350mm lens (in 35mm terms) and VR. To get that on a DSLR you're looking at at least... Oh wait it's not available! Okay well actually you could buy a D2X, a 24-120 VR, a 70-200 VR and a teleconvertor and probably achieve the same, but then you're looking at what, eight grand? SLR's are currently the world's biggest money holes, so watch out!

Good luck,
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    edited December 6, 2004
    This Week!
    I am excited to say that this week I will be purchasing a Nikon D70, possibly a bigger lens, and another computer.

Thanks for all the info - I have learned a lot browsing this board.

lr1811