"website not working" - true story

dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
edited August 21, 2006 in SmugMug Support
Just got an e-mail from someone saying my website wasn't working. Hmmm, it's been working fine for me all morning. So I called the guy up and asked what the problem was.

"It loads up and all, and I can see the photos, but when I try to right click save them, it saves a G-I-F and there's nothing there!"

"Did you also get an on-screen warning that says, '(C) Pete Springer. All rights reserved. Any unauthorized use prohibited'?"

"Yeah, but man, it won't let me save the photos!"

All I can say is, good job smugmug! :thumb Right-click protection isn't foolproof, but there are certainly cases where it's more foolproof than the user. Of course I explained to the guy that the website is working just fine, but I don't think it made any sense to him. :crazy

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
website blog instagram facebook g+

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2006
    dogwood wrote:
    Just got an e-mail from someone saying my website wasn't working. Hmmm, it's been working fine for me all morning. So I called the guy up and asked what the problem was.

"It loads up and all, and I can see the photos, but when I try to right click save them, it saves a G-I-F and there's nothing there!"

"Did you also get an on-screen warning that says, '(C) Pete Springer. All rights reserved. Any unauthorized use prohibited'?"

All I can say is, good job smugmug! thumb.gif Right-click protection isn't foolproof, but there are certainly cases where it's more foolproof than the user. Of course I explained to the guy that the website is working just fine, but I don't think it made any sense to him. :crazy

rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif
  • CasonCason Registered Users Posts: 414 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2006
    That's too awesome!
    Cason

www.casongarner.com

5D MkII | 30D | 50mm f1.8 II | 85mm f1.8 | 24-70mm f2.8
    L | 70-200mm f2.8L IS II | Manfrotto 3021BPRO with 322RC2
  • winnjewettwinnjewett Registered Users Posts: 329 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2006
    It seems that Smugmug's right-click protection is in fact foolproof, but we need a new word to describe what it isn't; average-guy proof? geekproof? Who knows?

Very funny story. Thanks for sharing.

-Winn
  • DnaDna Registered Users Posts: 435 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2006
    "Every time you make it idiot proof, they invent a better idiot"

rolleyes1.gifDrolleyes1.gifD

Dna
  • jh4wvujh4wvu Registered Users Posts: 169 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2006
    New way of copying photos...
    Dna wrote:
    "Every time you make it idiot proof, they invent a better idiot"

rolleyes1.gifDrolleyes1.gifD

Dna

I just switched from PC to Mac and bought a Macbook Pro laptop. For those of you familiar with Widgets -- there is one available that will allow a user to take full screen captures, grab portions of the screen, and even capture windows, desktop icons, and other widgets.

For my photos I have a watermark in the lower left corner...the user can use the tool and capture the area of the photo they want and save it to their computer.

I tried this last night and printed out what I captured and for most people it would be just fine to hang on the refrigerator. Most of my users are using them for Facebook and MySpace since I cater to college students and their families.

So the point is...no matter what you do to stop people from stealing your print they are still going to do it. Although I guess you could put a huge watermark in the center but this may not work for everyone.

Sorry for the long post.

Chris
  • bhambham Registered Users Posts: 1,303 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2006
    dogwood wrote:

All I can say is, good job smugmug! thumb.gif Right-click protection isn't foolproof, but there are certainly cases where it's more foolproof than the user. Of course I explained to the guy that the website is working just fine, but I don't think it made any sense to him. :crazy

I hope you told him that by trying to save the photos without purchasing them, he was in fact trying to steal them. Then if an idiot like that would have called me, I would have told him that the police should be at his door in about 10 minutes. If he is stupid enough to believe he should be able to save the photos then he probably is stupid enough to believe the police will show up.

The stupidity of people never ceases to amaze me.
    "A photo is like a hamburger. You can get one from McDonalds for $1, one from Chili's for $5, or one from Ruth's Chris for $15. You usually get what you pay for, but don't expect a Ruth's Chris burger at a McDonalds price, if you want that, go cook it yourself." - me
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2006
    jh4wvu wrote:
    I just switched from PC to Mac and bought a Macbook Pro laptop. For those of you familiar with Widgets -- there is one available that will allow a user to take full screen captures, grab portions of the screen, and even capture windows, desktop icons, and other widgets.
    Chris

Don't want to fully hijack, but help a new Mac user out...

cmd-shift-3 captures entire screen
    cmd-shift-4 captures selection (gives you selection tool)
    cmd-shift-4 and then press spacebar will capture any given window.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    Don't want to fully hijack, but help a new Mac user out...

cmd-shift-3 captures entire screen
    cmd-shift-4 captures selection (gives you selection tool)
    cmd-shift-4 and then press spacebar will capture any given window.

Or you can use the Screen Shots Plus widget deal.gif
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/