Face Off!

KMCCKMCC Registered Users Posts: 717 Major grins
edited August 26, 2006 in Sports
Summer is most definitely not over yet, but that hasn't kept youth hockey from kicking off the new season. Here's a couple of shots from the local rink where the Atlanta Fire defeated the Nashville Flyers 4-0 this afternoon.

I've got to tell you, an ice rink feels pretty good when it's over 90 outside!

(click on image for EXIF)

89217119-L.jpg

89216842-L.jpg

Kent
"Not everybody trusts paintings, but people believe photographs."- Ansel Adams
Web site

Comments

• wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2006
    Ooh, thanks for the reminder.

Tough lighting conditions, it looks like.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • KMCCKMCC Registered Users Posts: 717 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2006
    wxwax wrote:
    Ooh, thanks for the reminder.

Tough lighting conditions, it looks like.
    The Cooler is still using the same 60 watt light bulbs that it had in place last season and the marks, smears, and scratches on the glass around the rinks have only grown more mature.

I love the challenge of it. :D

Kent
    Web site
  • dodger501dodger501 Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
    edited August 20, 2006
    I like the low angle you shot
    KMCC wrote:
    Summer is most definitely not over yet, but that hasn't kept youth hockey from kicking off the new season. Here's a couple of shots from the local rink where the Atlanta Fire defeated the Nashville Flyers 4-0 this afternoon.

I've got to tell you, an ice rink feels pretty good when it's over 90 outside!

Were you shooting over the glass or what?
    edited August 20, 2006
    dodger501 wrote:
    Were you shooting over the glass or what?
    I typically shoot through the glass. I wander around the ends of the rink looking for a piece of glass with enough clear spots to allow me to have a good angle on the goalie and the offensive players coming down ice towards the goal.

Occassionally I shoot from the side of the rink half way between the blue line and the goal line.

Kent
    Web site
  • aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2006
    Nice hockey pictures! I completely understand about the poor lighting conditions, etc. It's such a challenge and I think you figured it out!

I bought my camera just to take hockey pictures know how difficult it can be -- white background, fast moving people, poor lighting, and shooting through scratched up plexi glass.

You did a wonderful job. clap.gif
  • fire1035fire1035 Registered Users Posts: 208 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2006
    Nice shots. It's almost hockey season around here. I can't wait as that is money in my pocket for officiating!
  • wingerwinger Registered Users Posts: 694 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2006
    I find some irony that the first hockey shots of the year are well south of the Mason Dixon line.

But I find some comfort in the fact there is hockey becuase I maybe moving there soon.....soo at least I will have the idea of time on and off the ice to get me through the hell like summers.

Well I guess first through the job interview i go!
  • aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2006
    winger wrote:
    I find some irony that the first hockey shots of the year are well south of the Mason Dixon line.

Is adult and youth hockey generally considered to be a one season sport?

I play in the adult leagues in CA, and we play all year long. It feels great to be inside of the ice rink when we're in a heat wave, but I hate playing when it's really hot since the ice never fully sets.
  • wingerwinger Registered Users Posts: 694 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2006
    aktse wrote:
    Is adult and youth hockey generally considered to be a one season sport?

I play in the adult leagues in CA, and we play all year long. It feels great to be inside of the ice rink when we're in a heat wave, but I hate playing when it's really hot since the ice never fully sets.

Well at least in the northeast the majority of the hockey is played oct-march. Depending on the level. Like HS has an even shorter season of Turkey day to Feburary vaction....but yeah you can play all year round around here too.

Just I spend the summer doing other sports, because I find usually between, playing, refing and coaching im totally burnt out by the end of the season. Also by taking the summer off it recharges your batteries and gets you excited to be on the ice.

But certainly good ice times are infintely easier to find in the summer time. Rather than having to practice at 10:30 on a weeknight (that just messes with me for the next day)
    edited August 26, 2006
    aktse wrote:
    The adult leagues here in the north Atlanta area are also year round activities with quite a few teams participating. The youth leagues start up in the August/September time frame and run until March.

Kent
    Web site