Lense as a belated present

livefreenskilivefreenski Registered Users Posts: 163 Major grins
edited August 20, 2006 in Cameras
As a belated graduation present my parents are gonna give me $400 dollars towards some new glass on top of that i'll spend up to $500.

I'm looking at the Cannon 24-105L

I already have an ok telephoto lense

For this lense im looking for a quality lense that will handle flowers, landscapes and possible a portrait lense, I basically just looking for a good quality image, not a huge concern on speed or a huge focal length at all

Other suggestions or opinions

-ty

Comments

• DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2006
    What's the body? What lenses do you have? Just the telephoto? Which one?
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • livefreenskilivefreenski Registered Users Posts: 163 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2006
    o gosh yea that be important info sorry mind cramp

300 rebel

I have the standard lense that comes with the camera

Canon EF 75-300 F/4.0-5.6 III Lens

Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 Zoom Lens
    the telephoto mostly stays in the camera bag bc not the greatest quality but it works

-ty
  • Red BullRed Bull Registered Users Posts: 719 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2006
    I have the 17-40 f/4 L and it is my most used lens. Yes, it covers what the 18-55 does but it has a very nice close focusing distance ability to capture flowers, and it is a very nice landscape lens. It's also in your price range.deal.gif
    -Steven

http://redbull.smugmug.com

"Money can't buy happiness...But it can buy expensive posessions that make other people envious, and that feels just as good.":D

Canon 20D, Canon 50 1.8 II, Canon 70-200 f/4L, Canon 17-40 f/4 L, Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro, Canon 430ex.
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2006
    I'm one of the large number of folks who swear by the Tamron 28-75. It's a very good lens (maybe great? nah) at a very good price. If you go with this lens, you then have to worry about what to do with the other $500.
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2006
    Yeah, the 17-40 is a great lens, and is also my most used lens on a 20D.

On a Rebel, I would think that the 24-105 would not be wide enough for landscapes.

On a full frame camera, it may be just the thing for all that you want to do, but it's too long a lens for landscapes, IMO.

If I had $900 to spend, I would most likely get the 17-40 and the 50 f1.4. On a 1.6x body, the 50 makes a nice portrait lens, it gives you a large aperture, and it's all a major step up from your kit lens.

On a budget, the next lens I would get would be the 70-200 f4. No IS and you lose a stop, but it's 1/3 the cost of it's big brother. Great lens for ~$500.

And as much as Gus poo-poos it, the 10-22EFS is a great, fun lens. That would be round 3 for me.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • livefreenskilivefreenski Registered Users Posts: 163 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2006
    the 17-40 sounds like a contentder i'll hafta to get a few more opinions and do some reading though before i let all the money go haha thanksrolleyes1.gif