HDR and Hay Bales

thebigskythebigsky Registered Users Posts: 1,052 Major grins
edited July 27, 2006 in Finishing School
Hi, sorry for the delay in responding, thanks for all your kind comments and critique.

Despite Photoshop advising that several exposures produce the best results when creating HDR images I found that despite using a tripod I could only capture 3-5 images realistically before the scene variations were too great, cloud/shadow movement etc.

After experimentation I settled for just 3 exposures for this image:-

84390885-S.jpg84390876-S.jpg84390880-S.jpg
Click on the images for the Exif.

I then used the merge to HDR function in Photoshop to create an HDR image. I then converted this to 16bit mode using the local adaptation method and slid both sliders all the way to the right.

I then created two points on the tone curve and manipulated them to give some contrast in the image, saved the image as a 16bit tif and imported the file into Lightroom (I know this seems odd but I'm much better accustomed to using Lightroom than Photoshop.) In Lightroom I set the white and black points and adjusted for shadow, luminance and contrast.

I saved the file again as a 16bit tif, loaded back into Photoshop, did some dust removal and some sharpening and saved the final image.

Now having done all that I repeated the process with some other shots I had taken on the same shoot and think it's an even better image.

Here's a link.

Phew, Charlie.